Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nav Bar - Main Menus not working in preview or browser

I am currently evaluating a trial of Web Designer 7 Premium. A web developer using the same has sent me the project file for the work he has done. It basically works except for the MAIN menus (the sub-menus work!).

The menus seem really simple in Xara Web Designer and yet I can't figure this out. This is the situation:

> The first set of HTML code I got from the developer works (I don't have the project file for that). But when I run this in a browser, the menus work and the background animation in the top title bar works.

> However, in the final version I got from the developer - none of the MAIN menus work (but sub menu does). This is the case with both the project preview and HTML code exported.

Yet the one and only sub-menus work, but once there, you can't go anywhere because none of the main menus work.

All the menus simply point to existing pages in the Link to drop down selection.

Adding a new page & menu did work (a bit flakey it seemed). But deleting a menu and re-creating it did not fix the problem.

I've looked at the menu setup and can't see much, and they are pretty simple. I've spent a lot time searching through forums and the Nav Bar to no avail and given the simplicity of the Nav Bar and menus - I give up!!!!

Can anyone help?

Greg

Default Re: Nav Bar - Main Menus not working in preview or browser

Is it possible this is because I am using a Web Designer trial and the project came initially from a full version?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankycrow View Post
    Is it possible this is because I am using a Web Designer trial and the project came initially from a full version?
    No, it's not possible.
    To help you we have to look at your design file.
    John.

By Design file - you mean the *.web file. On upload of that file or a compressed copy - it tells me it is too big to upload??

Ne.web
    *.web file attached - some graphice removed, but the problem still exists...thanks

You have embedded "speed.swf" on all of your pages. Make sure it is actually exported with your website. When you put it into your design, the support folder was created along with your design file (if your design file is "ne.web" then the support folder must be called "ne_web_files"). The "speed.swf" file was copied to the support folder. Every time you export your website, the content of the support folder is also exported. But if you have deleted the support folder, or if you have just copied, moved or renamed your design file without altering the support folder the same way, it will not work anymore.
    So, if there's no support folder, you may create it as described and place the required swf file in it. Or, alternatively, you may remove all the flash placeholders, and insert your flash file again. WD will create the support folder and copy this file automatically.
    John.

Thumbs up Re: Nav Bar - Main Menus not working in preview or browser

Thanks John,

That worked!! I should have got that folder from the developer. Fortunately a previous HTML file set had the .swf file in it, so I carried out the steps you outlined and we're away (finally).

Most appreciated and my sincere thanks for your time to resolve.

Greg

I have the same problem my navbar doesn't work if i send you the file can you have a look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankycrow View Post
    Ne.web
    *.web file attached - some graphice removed, but the problem still exists...thanks

Hi John,
    I think that I have the same or similar problem - see my post "Is this a bug ..........?" I am hoping that you have hit on the solution.
    I not sure that I follow your explanation. My .swf file (carousel.swf) is in the index_html_files folder along with the 5 data files for the 5 examples - one per page - of the Carousel widget. The index_html_files folder is in the export folder that I have called HTML along with the .htm file for each page. is this what you mean? If so, I am still not getting the nav bar to work properly BUT only from the Contact Us page where there is also a text link to an email address. The nav bar works OK to and from all other pages as do the text navigation links to and from ALL pages.
    Best regards,
    Peter

Hi John,
    If you picked up my earlier post on this thread, I think that I have found the problem.
    I had set the transition on the email link to FADE. When I put it back to INSTANT everything worked OK in the viewer and in all the browsers both from the viewer and when viewing the exported htm files in all browsers.
    I have no idea why this should happen - the transitions on all the pages in the nav bar are set to FADE without a problem just a problem on the text link to the email doesn't work when set to FADE! I put the transition back to fade and re-created the problems. No idea why this should happen.
    best regards,
    Peter