Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

xdp6 PDF export displaying ellipse/shape boundaries

In addition to my continual problems with getting the color output to match simulated print colors of CMYK on screen and .png printouts, I now find that upon PDF export, you can see the boundaries of an ellipse and a shape. I wanted to create a corona-style effect around the sun, so I used an ellipse and a shape, both with transparencies applied. (Edit to add: this is a design for a card deck.)

When I print the PDF export, (see the "PDF boundaries" image), the colors look way off and you can clearly see the circular boundaries of the ellipse and/or shape; it will do it on either one. All that should be visible is the white "corona" around the sun, which is subtle and indicated by the blue arrow pointing to it on the image "Sunrays."

Having discovered this problem, I've experimented with all sorts of variations of trying to get that corona, including the "glow" effect, but don't know how to change the color of the glow, itself. But it shouldn't be printing those boundaries to begin with, so something is off somewhere.

I'm exporting with PDF/X-3, 300 dpi, Limit bitmap resolution to rasterization resolution, JPEG quality at 100, exclude invisible layers.

Also attached is the .xar file, in case I'm doing something stupid and unaware of it.

Any ideas how to fix this?

TIA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF-boundaries.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	82016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunrays.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	82017  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Advocate; 29 May 2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: additional info

Default Re: PDF export displaying ellipse/shape boundaries

This isn't going to aid your slightly washed out look--but it is only the appearance as the color values are nearly identical between the PDF and DP6 (second screen shot).

Print to the PDF using PDF vers. 1.5 and you'll be fine on the halo. See one of the screen shots.

Take care, Mike

Name:	card_design.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	82019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Output Preview_2011-05-28_17-12-28.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	82020  

Have you tried applying feathering to the ellipse?

Name:	tg-sunrays.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	82021  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Still has the delineation of the "circle" glow extents. Look at the circular color shift on the rays themselves.

Take care, Mike

Hi, Mike. That did the trick. I was using the PDF/X instead of the Adobe 1.5. Perhaps I should export all my images to the printer using the Adobe 1.5 instead of PDF/X. Maybe I should stop spending hours trying workarounds and just post my problem to the experts on this forum at the get-go from now on. Thanks!

You are most welcome. Expert I'm not, though. Hack, yes...

Do feel free to post your art. If for no other reason it is outstanding.

Take care, Mike

I see what you mean. This attachment uses the PDF 1.5 option along with the feathering as mention before.

Name:	corona.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	82024  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You're much closer to an expert than I am, that's for sure. My art is "outstanding"? You just made my day. Thanks!

Excuse me some of the reasons that I give here maybe wrong but it is the information that has been given to me over the years for using PDF/X rather than just PDF1.5:
    Increased meta data can be included
    It's more bullet proof way of transporting files which also leads to smaller file size
    Less need for pre-flighting as the Pro version Acro will show areas of problems
    A standard desktop export file conversion tool that does not require tools like Jaws or Cute PDF
    That files should not have device dependant tags on them (no files should have an RGB tag on them)
    That files produced in PDF were totally print ready (nearly the same as above)
    To allow better discussion
    That PDF/X-3 can allow embedded ICC profile in it
    That PDF/X is the baseline PDF and all printers should work from that.
    PDF/X allows the use of layers

As I stated at the top this is just office conversion and the list is just made up from what I have digested from info given to me.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    It's more bullet proof way of transporting files which also leads to smaller file size
    I would have to disagree with this one. If the design uses transparency then this must be converted to a bitmap representation for PDF/X whereas a standard PDF 1.5 document can keep the vector information. The PDF/X is likely to be significantly larger in these cases though some programs may have problems with the transparency.

Of course, some printers may insist on a PDF/X (i.e. print ready CMYK) file so another workaround would have to be found in this case, e.g. you may be able to use Acrobat or another program to convert the file from PDF 1.5 to PDF/X.

Gerry