Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: "In place" editing of more than one object - how complex is simple !!?

No problem, Bill. There was also this fairly recent thread about resizing multiple circles keeping their positions which uses the same principle...

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ge-of-position

Gerry
    IP

Default Re: "In place" editing of more than one object - how complex is simple !!?

I appreciate the information Gerry, I'm learning many new things today.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Hmm, mnahit. Sounds like you might be expecting Xara to be a mind reader. Suppose the function worked the other way around, but what you wanted to do was rotate as a group without actually grouping the rectangles...

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
    I just multi-select individual objects. Why xara behave like they are grouped? Please try to skew (shear) 3 distinct text objects at once. Xara gives the result as if i've groped them just before skewing! This is nonesense!

"Hoş bulduk" BTW.
    Last edited by mnahit; 27 May 2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: salute
    IP

I have to disagree with this and think that you calling it nonsense, even if English is not your native language, will not endear you to many people on these forums. You are applying the transformation to the whole of the selection as the 8 selection blobs around the whole of the selection indicate so the behaviour makes perfect sense. Allowing transformations to apply to the individual objects in the selection separately would require considerable changes and would have various difficulties for the UI: each object in the selection would need its own 8 selection blobs; rotation would either need a separate rotation origin for each object or to disable the changing of the rotation origin etc. If there were a large number of objects selected then the selection blobs would be very confusing and even with a small number of objects these blobs could end up on top of each other.

Gerry
    IP

As far as i know, 8 blobs indicate the "extent" of the selection. Xara not only uses these blobs to show a selection. Please also be aware of the single points to the top left corners of any selected object.
    Maybe this topic will lead to an "intermediate selection" or modification scheme?
    Xara can put the same toggle "distinct" button next to Show selection bounds - Show object edit handles - Show fill edit handles and Show rotation handles for this scenario to take effect without delving into blobs etc.
    Last edited by mnahit; 27 May 2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: proposal
    IP

xara does not do multiple selections

a selection is just that - one selection

even when you have added lots of objects to it, it is just one selection

and that is why it acts as one when you rotate or skew it

please be polite - I see you understand perfectly well what the word 'endear' means, so your English cannot be that bad
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

thank you for editing your post
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Ok. A conservative developer and a supporter moderator! I thought i would bring some idea to Xara lovers.
    IP

The 8 blobs don't just indicate the extent of the selection, they are also used to control the transformation that is applied when you drag with the mouse. I am fully aware of the single blobs indicating selected objects, if you look just below my name you will see why. It is possible that this topic might lead to a per-object transform feature at some point in the future but I think it is unlikely as the matter has been raised several times over the last 15 years and it hasn't been implemented so far for various reasons including the issues I mentioned before as well as several others.

Gerry
    IP

there is nothing wrong with ideas, they are welcome - but there is no point in decrying the status quo just because it does not suit you - you are not going to get your ideas across if you upset the people you need to implement them
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP