Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Access Fonts Outside the Normal Directories?

The company I work for has security measures in place which prevent me from modifying any directory within the C: drive. This means, of course, that I can't add fonts to either the system fonts directory or the Adobe/Fonts directory.

Obviously, this is a huge disadvantage, and I'm trying to find a workaround. Does anyone know a way to make Photoshop find fonts in a different directory? I'm able to create and modify directories on our shared server, so I'd like to create an alternate fonts folder there and point Photoshop toward it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

(I'm using CS4 on a Windows XP 5.1, if that helps.)
    IP

Default Re: Access Fonts Outside the Normal Directories?

You can try and ask the admin to add a shortcut TO the local machine's font folder FROM a folder for user-added fonts on the server. The admin can simply map to the server folder.

As this is a seemingly needed function for your job, it would seem the admin can be instructed to place permissions allowing you to add/remove/catalog the fonts in the local font folder directly. They can limit the file types, at least by filename extension.

Do note that many companies that have such restrictions also, from time to time, wipe out and restore users' desktop machines. If your place of business also does that, the admin will need to insure that this process doesn't alter the new set up.

Good luck. Mike
    IP