Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Aligning website to suit mobile application

Hi,

I am afraid I am very new at this, but have found XWD(6) to be a fantastic piece of software but am completely confounded by an issue I have.

I have written a website, which when uploaded to my local web address (e.g. www.myfreewebspace.andylegg..etc etc) looks fine, on every browser and platform.

The problem I have is that when I ask my domain name service provider to point a more appropriate domain name at my local files (e.g. www.andylegg.com) they do so by embedding my website in an "invisible frame" and it is once this is done that when I view it on an Ipad or mobile the entire website is shoved hard to the right, leaving a very wide (in this instance) black margin all along the left hand side.

I have spoken to them and they claim it is a website optimisation issue, which was no help.
    Other websites (written on frontpage) seem to work fine, centrally aligning on the Ipad and phone so I think it must be something I have done / have not done on XWD.

I used the XARAtweaks6 pack, and put one page "Left hand aligned", which cured the Ipad, but of course, this shoves the the entire page hard to the left when viewed on an normal PC which looks pretty rubbish IMHO.

The website I have used is the standard 955px wide.

I know there must be some "auto align" code out there, but can I find it?...I cannot !
    I'm not even that worried if the page does not resize, I just want it to appear centrally aligned.

Please help.

Andy

P.s.

I've just written another very simple one pager, with design applied, just a simple blank 955px page with a red square centrally place.
    Again if I use a web-divert domain name on it, (which uses an "invisible" frame) the page still aligns far to the right, so a big left hand margin.
    Last edited by Andrew Legg; 18 May 2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Add info

Default Re: Aligning website to suit mobile application

I would really suggest you to change your host if possible. Placing your pages in the frame is not something serious hosts do.
    However, you can make your pages break free of that frame and work normally. To do so, add following script to the head section of your page or even entire site (Web properties dialog, Page or Website tab, "HTML code (head)" button):
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">if(top.location != location)top.location = location;</script>
    John.

Thank you for your help on this.
    I should have explained my domain service provider does allow me to do , what the script above, effectively does. The problem with this is that I no longer have the "domain" website appear in the address bar, but the actual (crappy free space provider) site address. Obviously I would prefer if the site address was hidden by the domain name but this frame / alignment problem is has been driving me mad for hours.
    To me it looks like the frame is too big for the page, but I'm assured the problem is website related, which given my frontpage webs have all worked fine under the same system, I assume it is. (this is my first XWD project)

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Andy

I see. Can you provide a link to the page hosted this way?
    John.

Yes, of course.
    The Domain (powered by UK2.net) is http://www.windmillhillwebsites.co.uk/
    The free webspace the site is hosted on is http://stripes.atwebpages.com

Either an Ipad or a phone will do to see the problem.

Thank you very much

Andy

A better example
    The Domain (powered by UK2.net) is http://www.windmillhillwebsites.co.uk/
    The free webspace the site is hosted on is http://windmillhill.ukfsn.org/whwebs

It doesn't matter what website I build in XWD the same thing happens, but not, if I build in frontpage (not that I want to)

Andy