Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why can't I save my Xara design as a .jpg (or ANYTHING other than a .xar file)

I just purchased Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. It's fairly easy to work with. I'm used to Photoshop, but I needed something on the fly, as I'm not at home.

Why can't I save my Xara design as anything other than a .xar file?

This is frustrating! No print shop accepts a .xar file. When I try to save it, it only gives me the option to save it as .xar.

Okay. I figured that out. I export it, right?

Now I need help figuring out how to convert it to CMYK color.

Help please.
    Last edited by Shannon; 15 May 2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: How to convert to CMYK

Default Re: Why can't I save my Xara design as a .jpg (or ANYTHING other than a .xar file)

OK, saw you figured out the option for export.
    Last edited by pauland; 15 May 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Default Re: Why can't I save my Xara design as a .jpg (or ANYTHING other than a .xar file)

Hello Shannon,

I don't believe there is an option for CMYK export when saving as a JPG.

You can use TIFF and PDF. For the TIFF export, just make sure that in the dialog for TIFF export, you use the radio button for CMYK as shown below.

For PDF, use the PDF/X-1a option in the PDF export dialog.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmyk_tiff_01.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	81662  

Welcome to TalkGraphics

JPEG is a really lousy file format unless you export with no compression and even then it is not as good as a TIFF.

I just checked and Photo and Graphic Designer does export a PDF but not with the latest export filters. You could try it and see what your printer says.

But you can export to CMYK TIFF. So that may be your best option. As your printing representative what resolution they like. Usually 300dpi works but some like more resolution so it is always a good idea to ask.