Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Tree-Navigation

Guest Guest

Default Tree-Navigation

My favorite Navigation for Websites is a stylized vertical Tree-Menu as shown in the attached animated Gif (please download if it doesn't work in the Forum). As a Demo-User I may not test the Menu-Builder - so may I ask:
    Can one create functionality-wise similar and custom designed Menus with the Menu-Builder shipping with Web-Premium? Or could one create such Menus "by Hand" in a way that doesn't cause a great lot of rework when Entries
    have to get added or removed?

If not: Would you see a comfortable way to integrate such a type of Menu with some kind of Placeholder so that one can easily add and remove pages and preview changes but also finetune their appearance?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu.gif 
Views:	188 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	81650  
    Last edited by polyxo; 14 May 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: Tree-Navigation

No problem. But the flyouts to the side are entirely outside your righthand border. In the "Edit Navigation Bar" popup menu, click on "Menu Style" to define all the elements of your submenu.

If you're totally new to Xara, be aware that you can change vertical menus to horizontal and vice versa -- which I often do, inside the "Edit Nav Bar" popup.

I use verticals all the time for menus within a section of the site.

Guest Guest

mikehihn,
    thank you - but from you description it sounds as if you were talking about the sort of Flyout Menu also described in the third Video on this page, right?
    What I asked for is a different type which has the advantage (imo) of leaving all Hierarchy-Levels accessible when cascaded.

Not possible natively due to the dynamic positioning required as per your example. You may embed a flash menu or a javascript design via a placeholder perhaps (taking into account the space required to have all menu options open) Otherwise you must use the vertical navigation menu type as shown in the supplied examples in the designs gallery.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Guest Guest

Wouldn't building such a Menu by Hand work theoretically?

Hi not quite sure if I am understanding the question - prob too much pop last night lol

do you mean like the example i have attatched ??

if so that took me about 5 mins to do

cheerz

menu example.web

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trukkerz View Post
    do you mean like the example i have attatched ??
    Hi trukkerz,
    thank you very much for actually trying things out! Unfortunately it is not what I was looking for.
    If you download my originally posted Gif and drag and drop it into any web-browser you'll see the
    difference. While easy to build I find such Flyout Menus not at all ideal, especially when used vertically.

Tree Menus have different States which not nervously show only when the Mouse hovers over a Hotspot
    but they remain visible after releasing the Mouse-Button. Also they give clear indication at what Level
    of Hierarchy the User currently is. So I guess it is not a surprise that every Operating System uses this
    concept in Finder/Explorer etc.

ok no probs - have you tried this - then you could copy the code into a placeholder

Cheerz