Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Limit on Number of pages?

Breaking a site in this manner brings up a question - if one does so and you have a "site within a site", does this affect search engines in any way vs having one big site? - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    Breaking a site in this manner brings up a question - if one does so and you have a "site within a site", does this affect search engines in any way vs having one big site? - jb
    A site is just where you start from when you visit a domain. How the pages are put together is immaterial to search engines, whether you use one or fifty Xara projects to do it, it's all just HTML to a search engine.

I hadn't seen the article on managing a large site but I figured out a slightly less complicated way of doing it(?).

I use it where I want a section to have a different (but consistent) look; especially if I want a second navigation bar.

1. Split the site as per the article:
    2. The main site has a first page called 'INDEX' and all its resource files go in the INDEX_HTM_FILES folder
    3. The sub-site should have its first page renamed, e.g 'GALLERY' (ignore the warning), and all resource files for that go into a folder called GALLERY_HTM_FILES
    4. These 2 (or more) sites can now be exported to the same local folder and they won't clash (**unless you have used the same page name**) and published to the same site.

You have to do a little fiddling with the navbar (turn off the 'auto correct link' option) to manually link the two (or use absolute web page addresses like the article) but you don't have to mess about with sub-folders and sub-folder references.

Here is a (Work-in-progress') demo site that has the 'RESOURCES' tab as a completely separate file with its own separate navbar:
    http://website.lineone.net/~a_tranter/stc/index.htm

ps - you'll note that the Resources page is a single page with an IFRAME that inserts one of about 60 pages - this means I only have to change one header if I change the main site - it does have a few problems though!!

Thanks for this concept. However, I'd really like to more about how you use the iFrame and load the various pages into it. I'm hoping that this may contribute to handling another problem I'm having, namely, how to provide facilities for clients to modify their own websites without having to buy and use Xara's web development tool.