Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CMYK 100% Black getting changed on PDF/X Export

Anyone else having an issue with CMYK 100%-K value getting reconfigured on PDF/X-3: 2003 (ISO 15930-6) CMYK Export to values like:

C - 74.06%
    M - 68.29%
    Y - 66.57%
    K - 89.83%

When working in the xar file, the CMYK for black is:

C - 0%
    M - 0%
    Y - 0%
    K - 100%

Any enlightenment about this would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: CMYK 100% Black getting changed on PDF/X Export

What I do is to use the option as shown in the attached screen shot.

For whatever reason known to Xara, unless I embed the profile, 100% k can come out as rich black instead.

***Edit***

I added the second screen shot using Acrobat's Object Inspector. this screen shot shows the 100% k for the text (represented in Acrobat as "1.00").

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDF Export Options_2011-05-10_16-03-04.png 
Views:	401 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	81590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Output Preview_2011-05-10_16-34-25.png 
Views:	318 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	81591  

Last edited by mwenz; 10 May 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Added a more clear screen shot

Here is a topic I posted in another Xara forum and I think Mike is agreeing with me that a copy of Acro. Pro is a necessity. It's a vid tutorial and pictures speak louder than me: http://board.xara-users.info/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1989
    Design is thinking made visual.

im unable to reproduce the problem and I dont need to embed the profile as mwenz suggests.

I ensure my object within the xar file has the CMYK color model applied and the required values (0,0,0,100), export as PDF commercial, selecting advanced, set the version to PDF/X-3: 2003 (ISO 15930-6).

Next i view the resulting PDF and open the Output preview, change the simulation profile to US Web Coated (SWOP) v2 which is the default profile applied and mouse over the object and can see that only process black has been applied.

You could run into the problem you describe If the object has HSV applied and is converted to CMYK on PDF export. Upload an example file with which your'e having the problem and we will take a look

Thanks

I have attached a sample XDP6 file.

Without changing color on the left line--but do pull up the color editor to check the value--make the PDF.

I discovered something about at least lines and their color. The left line will (I think) be a mix of CMYK. The right line will be 100% k only.

Now, if I alter the left-hand line to anything else and then change it back to K only, the PDF is created without the profile.

Take care, Mike
    (who is obviously doing something incorrect, eh?)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, the first line on the left has a fill and line color applied using the HSV color model and would need to be converted to CMYK during export. All other objects within the file are fine.

- Select the first line on the left and set 'no color' as the fill color.
    - Open the color editor, expand the 'advanced options' and set the color model to CMYK Color model
    - Click within the K field and press the return key on your keyboard to apply the change
    - Export to PDF

I checked the resulting PDF in Acrobat Pro. The output preview showed that the black objects are 100K including the first line. The preflight check also passes without error.

Hope this helps
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes. I understand.

In the attached screen shot, it is showing that the line is 100% K. It is not. I think this is dependent on which color model one is using as set in the options as to which model displays. Mine is set to CMYK.

I can move one slider, any slider but lets use the K slider, and even if moved a single percent and put back to 100%, the output is 100% K in the PDF.

The color editor *should* show what the heck color value is being used on a selected object. When I have CMYK as the default (in Options, Edit Local Colors in: CMYK) it XDP6 *ought to* always be using that color model. And when I choose to use another color model on an object, select the object and open the color editor, it *ought to* show me what color values are being used.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmyk_or_k_color_editor.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	81607  

I get the same as Mike so long as you change the colour mode on the outside line it is fine when you export. If you know that it is going for print then you should always work in CMYK and check your output at the end even if you have to move the K slider forward and then back to make sure. It hardly takes any time to do and it saves the phone call from the printers telling you they have problems and it will cost you more money to fix. The overall problem is that Xara colour engine is written for RGB and the colour editor still would like to work in that mode but it is no big deal especially with text to move the slider forward and then back and hit return. This is a known problem and it has been on the go since I think Xtreme Pro 4! I would still recommend that you buy a copy of Acro Pro even it is an old one. With all of the effects used in Xara and that includes transparencies I really think some form of programme for checking your output is required.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Heh. I would have rather been wrong and someone would have slapped me up alongside the head and told me "just make this setting and all is as it should be."

It is a work-around. It isn't as it should be and could be. Awareness of the seemingly long-standing issue is good to have, though.

And yeppers. AcroPro is an absolute necessity for production work.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for all the posts and the work-around, that fixed my issue!!