Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Flourish flowery curvy designs, please how to?

Post Script and Enhanced (or Encapsulated) Post Script is a very general name given to a very large variation of file structures.

Not even Adobe applications can open every .ps or .eps file available on the internet.

The Celtic Knots in Advocate's link is a .ps created using Flexisign Pro which is an application designed for Vinyl Sign Cutters. The file has a header which is a 133KB embedded thumbnail image.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Post Script and EPS are essentially a language designed to tell a printer (or vinyl cutter) what to do and there are many dialects of the language that often are not similar in any way other than they are actually text files except for any embedded image.

The attached image shows the start of the actual script language for the Celtic Knot file as displayed within Notepad++.

Anyone familiar with standard Adobe post script will notice that this dialect is very strange indeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celtic-knots-ps-text.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	81440  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

For aberrant EPS files, I have often used Acrobat Pro to convert them to PDF a good option as well. In the case of the celtic knot EPS, it worked as usual. Depending on the version of AcroPro, one should be able to select the EPS file, right-click and choose to convert to PDF.

Take care, Mike

That "languagelevel known not" is odd. Neodeist also caught the fact that it's a Flexisign application. Very strange, because I viewed the use of ghosteater's vectors on a commenter's site, and there was the Celtic knot being used as a pendant on an illustration of an alien being. Looks like he found a workaround, too, but just didn't mention it.

Mike (mwenz) mentions using Acrobat Pro to convert. I don't have that program, but a graphic designer friend of mine uses it often. I might have to call on her as backup

Thanks, everyone. No software can cover everything, but it's nice to know what the underlying problem is and a potential solution.

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    whoaaa okay looks like im totally getting livebrush! i hope it exports vectors to xara?
    RonC
    I tried it out but it doesn't look like it does. At least not directly. I would like to investigate further though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I tried it out but it doesn't look like it does. At least not directly. I would like to investigate further though.
    The free version does not save as vectors, but the $10 paid for version allows you to export as an SVG file. Since you can't import SVG to Xara, you'll need something to convert the SVG to EMF/WMF, EPS or other vector format - I would use Inkscape to accomplish that.

Actually been playing with the free version, and I can't come up with a good use for the program to apply it to my needs. LiveBrush reminds me of PD Particles, which does the same kind of thing for 3D painted brush strokes. I've used that app to create realistic looking plantlife for some of my map design. I was hoping to utilize LiveBrush to create cool scroll effects for the edges of my map, but its too difficult to control, so I don't think I find it useful much.

Like I said PD Particles does a similar kind of thing to LiveBrush, applying alogrithms to create special drawing effects - things shooting off the main stroke.

Here's a couple samples from PD Particles:

1. This first one uses a brush called Joshua Tree, I painted a brush stroke with a circular pattern to get this effect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joshua.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	81458

2. This one uses a pine brush, but I use it to create 'kelp' looking plant. Each leafy stem is it's own stroke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kelp.png 
Views:	434 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	81459

Not quite the same as LiveBrush, but a tool more useful for my needs.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03 May 2011 at 08:15 PM.

see also posts #15-#17
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...