Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Flourish flowery curvy designs, please how to?

I believe the filters were updated in the later versions. I use XXP3 because the EPS is compatible with my companion application. The EPS from the newer versions don't work. I export to PDF to return to Xara. It is an old version, but works.

Rich

molucca, I have Pro 6. That's probably the problem right there. The sad thing is, I don't know until I've downloaded a file and tried to open it whether it's going to work or not. Most of the time, it doesn't. Maybe this is something that will be updated by Xara in the future. Sure would be nice.

any good ?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Occasionally I can open an EPS file, but I just now tried again with two EPS files I downloaded this weekend, and once again it gave me the Warning message: "No filters that were designed for this type of file have been found. The import will continue using the most compatible filter, although the image may not appear as intended." When I click the "OK" button, it seems to process the file, but all I get is a blank page. I spent hours searching for the right kind of image, only to be stymied at the last minute. The file I really want to open is simple Celtic design vector graphics in black and white. Nothing but lines. Why it won't open, I don't know. If anyone wants me to send it to them, I'd be happy to do so. If it opens with your program, then obviously there's a problem with my program.
    It's a FLEXISIGN-PRO file (as shown by the header info when viewed in notepad) and is unsupported by xara (or even Inkscape actually). It will open in PS or even IrfanView, but will be raster (bitmap)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

seemed to open ok in illy and export to xara .. let me know if it did not

anyhow we have digressed from the floral to the celtic and a discussion of the many flavours of EPS may belong in another thread....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Occasionally I can open an EPS file, but I just now tried again with two EPS files I downloaded this weekend, and once again it gave me the Warning message: "No filters that were designed for this type of file have been found. The import will continue using the most compatible filter, although the image may not appear as intended." When I click the "OK" button, it seems to process the file, but all I get is a blank page. I spent hours searching for the right kind of image, only to be stymied at the last minute. The file I really want to open is simple Celtic design vector graphics in black and white. Nothing but lines. Why it won't open, I don't know. If anyone wants me to send it to them, I'd be happy to do so. If it opens with your program, then obviously there's a problem with my program.

Edit to add: Instead of sending the file, if anyone wants to give it a try, here's the link to the page where I got the file: http://ghosteater.deviantart.com/art...Knots-75638769 Thanks
    Advocate, I downloaded the 20 Celtic Knots and Opened with Xara Design Pro 6 - No Warining (FWIW) -Tom aka Hwy101
    Tom - Hwy101

handrawn, thanks, getting closer! It opened, but there are so many selection points on each of the lines in the drawings. How do I reduce the number of selection points? You can probably see where I accidentally dragged a point when my intention was to simply move the object.

Edit to add: Hwy101 ... well, that's just not fair, is it? I downloaded the zip file, double-clicked to unzip the file, clicked on the EPS file to open it, Xara 6 program started up, and then I got my Warning. So I don't know if something is wrong with my program, then. Thanks for letting me know it's supposed to work, anyway.

Edit again: Duh. I figured it out. Select object, click Control+G, all those selection points disappear, now have one cohesive object. I'm still learning! Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Celtic Knot.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	81437  
    Last edited by Advocate; 03 May 2011 at 03:00 AM.

handrawn, thanks, getting closer! It opened, but there are so many selection points on each of the lines in the drawings. How do I reduce the number of selection points? You can probably see where I accidentally dragged a point when my intention was to simply move the object.

Edit to add: Hwy101 ... well, that's just not fair, is it? I downloaded the zip file, double-clicked to unzip the file, clicked on the EPS file to open it, Xara 6 program started up, and then I got my Warning. So I don't know if something is wrong with my program, then. Thanks for letting me know it's supposed to work, anyway.
    Well, now I have a 'it's not fair, is it?' -when I opened it, the whole Page was on Big Group -Nothing Separate -I'd take Points (can't you reduce 'em? with XD6?)

Now I am Bummed -Tom aka Hwy101
    Last edited by Hwy101; 03 May 2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: must be dyslexic...
    Tom - Hwy101

I was able to reduce the nodes with the shape edit tool. Then break shapes...

It appears that the drawings are more like an object with many holes. If you try to select a white area ( actually a void, you won't be able to select it) You need to delest the object, even though it may appear as a line. Breaking shapes gives the voids as objects, and the base object object. Reducing nodes is a standard shape edit tool function.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KN.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	81439  
    Last edited by molucca; 03 May 2011 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Add Info

Rich, it looks beautiful what you've done, but I still need to learn about breaking shapes and all that. I should mention, your tortoise avatar is magnificent.

handrawn, we digressed because we evolved from exporting vector shapes from Livebrush and I seized the opportunity to bring up this problem of importing vectors, as well. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread

hwy101, handrawn's solution worked as far as giving me the vectors to work with, but I still would prefer for Xara to be able to flawlessly import any vector graphic. In the meantime, it's still a great program and I learn new things every time I work with it. And the support on this forum is priceless.