Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Flourish flowery curvy designs, please how to?

Xara scroll drawing into Expression for a tire track stroke. The track was drawn in Xara, and made into a vector stroke.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire Tracks.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	81409  

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Nice link to the Livebrush Larry.

I couldn't see whether the created patterns could be saved/exported so that they can be used in Xara?
    Do you or anyone else know?
    I don't know either, I'll try though. I have the paid version installed(not that makes any real difference in how it works though) don't know how to really use it, and only took at it ocasionally. It is fun though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Livebrush looks superb and shows how far behind the times Xaras vector development is getting.

[ $10 later it's on my system. Looks like it was written using the evil Flash ]
    Last edited by pauland; 02 May 2011 at 12:58 PM.

I bought Livebrush a couple months ago, played it with it for quite a while. With "Draw Mode" in Vector mode, it creates beautiful graphics (with practice), but I could never get it to export only the drawing on the page/canvas. Instead, it exported the entire page/canvas with the image on it, or it would export the image but the boundaries of the image would include the entire page/canvas, because it only exports as a .png. Or at least that's all I could get from it.

By the way, it probably takes a long time to develop the technique that looks so easy on the website. Also, in the Pro version I bought, there is no "Flourishes" brush as displayed on the interactive website, http://www.moremeyou.com/you.html Click on Explore and you can see the potential of this program. Maybe "Ligatures" brushes in the program are the closest thing to the "Flourishes" brush on his website.

I wrote the developer and asked how to export just the line drawing as a vector, but he never responded. So if anyone knows how to do this, please post. It's a great little program except for this hurdle.
    Last edited by Advocate; 02 May 2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo

according to the information I have you can export the lines [vectors ?] as SVG

xara wont import SVG but you could convert to PDF with [free] inkscape [or illustrator if you have it]

need the paid for livebrush to do the export though - so I can't try it at the moment to see how well it works
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi, handdrawn. Thanks for clarifying that. If I had Illustrator, I wouldn't have bought Xara It really isn't that important anymore, I discarded the design I wanted to use Livebrush on and created something else instead. But if Inkscape doesn't have a steep learning curve, then it seems worthwhile to pursue it. Right now my big problem is being able to use .eps files in Xara. There are thousands of beautiful free vector graphics available online, but Xara will only open .ai files, and most of the freebies are .eps. I think the same is true for purchasing vectors; most of them are .eps. Adobe really has a lock on things.

open the SVG in inkscape then just save it as PDF - all you need to do - but that's not to say it will work perfectly
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I open EPS files within XDP6 often. Most have come from on-line sources or off previous clip-art discs I have accumulated.

There are some that I have tried from other designers done in AI that have had too complex of fills and/or blends that needed rebuilt, but many of them have come in just fine.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Right now my big problem is being able to use .eps files in Xara. There are thousands of beautiful free vector graphics available online, but Xara will only open .ai files, and most of the freebies are .eps.
    This is not true. I have Xara Xtreme Pro 4, and I can open .EPS files all day long no problem. I can't imagine XP4 opening them and XD6 not being able to. If you look at the import filters it states AI/EPS which means both AI files and EPS files open fine.

As Mwenz states, some EPS files are problematic due specialized fills and gradiants that do not convert well, but most EPS files are no problem at all.

Occasionally I can open an EPS file, but I just now tried again with two EPS files I downloaded this weekend, and once again it gave me the Warning message: "No filters that were designed for this type of file have been found. The import will continue using the most compatible filter, although the image may not appear as intended." When I click the "OK" button, it seems to process the file, but all I get is a blank page. I spent hours searching for the right kind of image, only to be stymied at the last minute. The file I really want to open is simple Celtic design vector graphics in black and white. Nothing but lines. Why it won't open, I don't know. If anyone wants me to send it to them, I'd be happy to do so. If it opens with your program, then obviously there's a problem with my program.

Edit to add: Instead of sending the file, if anyone wants to give it a try, here's the link to the page where I got the file: http://ghosteater.deviantart.com/art...Knots-75638769

Thanks
    Last edited by Advocate; 02 May 2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: More info