Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poster

Default Poster

A couple of months ago I did a poster for a client who owns a restaurant. He wanted a poster that was the size of a door that included pretty much his entire family. So I did some preliminary sketches of each person to get the caricatures right. Then I did a sketch putting them all together--whew! His restaurant is a sort of retro Jetson theme, so everything was spaceships and futuristic Jetson buildings on platforms.

In any case, once the sketches were all approved I did the final in Xara using several layers for the various parts of the poster so I could move things around and get the composition the way he wanted it. I think it came out pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poster rough.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	81391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poster09.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	81390

Default Re: Poster

Zeb.

Sheer brilliance.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks, Rik! I've been waiting for Gary's post about your XX art show so I could rave about it--outstanding work!!! You remind me of Gary with your graphic and design sense and expertise! Terrific work!

Great poster Zeb, kinda reminiscent of the jetsons.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Very Nice Zeb! --Hwy101
    Tom - Hwy101

Stuck to the theme right through Zeb wonderful. Did you pen & ink, scan it and import it to hand trace it so achieve the final poster or just rough pencil sketch then work on the rough sketch in Xara? I work on community health publications where each publication has a cartoon but I lack the confidence to take very rough sketches into the programme to work and finalise them there. I think it is because I am quicker with a pencil & pen but I would like to know how other people work. Still a great bit of work!
    Design is thinking made visual.

Fantastic poster. Please take a photograph when it's in-situ. I'd love to see what his retro restaurant looks like!

Looks really great, I'd love to see it in situ as well. Also be interested to know of any difficulties in getting it proofed and printed at that size.
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Did you pen & ink, scan it and import it to hand trace it so achieve the final poster or just rough pencil sketch then work on the rough sketch in Xara?
    I do a rough sketch in pencil, then on a light table, I tape a clean sheet of paper on top and finalize the pencil sketch, scan it and bring it into Xara. From there I go over the lines on one layer, color on another, and background.

Paul and Derek, I don't have a pic of this up in his restaurant yet--I will ask. But attached is a pic of the front of the place with the sign that I did for him previously.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubes restaurant 01.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	81399

Thanks Zeb - looks like a great place - good job on the sign.