Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Altering default export behaviour on group that contains a placeholder

When exporting a webiste (any Xara product) grouping trumps placeholders.

By this I mean that if a placeholder is grouped with another object (graphic, text or even another placeholder) then the resultant group will be exported as a graphical element on the page - i.e. no placeholder code is exported. To get this group to export as the placeholder you would have to copy the original placeholder code and apply this to the group as a whole.

I'd like to have the option to configure XWD so that if a group contains any placeholder(s) then these take priority over grouping and are exported by default (i.e. you get the placeholder code exported and not a graphic of the group).

Default Re: Altering default export behaviour on group that contains a placeholder

I meant for this to go into 'Dear Xara' forum. Could a moderator move it to there please?

Default Re: Altering default export behaviour on group that contains a placeholder

Out of curiosity, why would you want to group a placeholder with anything?

In my way of thinking a placeholder is a way to carve out a portion of a page where you can drop in something that cannot be created directly within Web Designer. Something that is external in other words.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Would soft grouping work?

Hi Bill

I had the situation where I'd created an empty rectangle as a placeholder then later decided to add some descriptive text inside it. I grouped this with the rectangle which resulted in the 'lose' of the placeholder's html.

Anyway Xtom seems to have come up with the perfect solution - soft grouping. Just tried it out and it worked a treat, cheers Xtom!