Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Remove Xara from Head

Not that it is terrible important to me, either.

That said, there are crawlers out there that specifically look for Joomla, Drupal and wordPress sites in order to exploit known attacks points where the site admin has not yet patched a security flaw. Same with crawling looking for iFrames where PhP is used. In general, I have ripped such application identifiers from those types of sites I have built for clients. Same *could* be done with sites built with other software--but I think that would only happen if the software being used had a more major role in site building.

Me, I just keep up with security patches. I don't care if someone peeks or crawls into my sites.

Take care, Mike

Solution: SyncBack and simple script to run before synchronizing.

And Yes, I agree one should have option to strip it without unneeded steps if don't wants it.

Xara is only tool. Should I mention camera which I took picture with and a tablet which I use? Let me decide.
    Last edited by blekk; 28 April 2011 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blekk View Post
    Solution: Should I mention camera which I took picture with
    Doesn't your camera produce EXIF?
    John.

Solution: SyncBack and simple script to run before synchronizing.

And Yes, I agree one should have option to strip it without unneeded steps if don't wants it.

Xara is only tool. Should I mention camera which I took picture with and a tablet which I use? Let me decide.
    The picture is what you see in the browser. People can only know that Xara made the page by looking behind the scenes to see the "nuts and bolts" HTML. Even if the metadata mentioning Xara was removed, it would still be easily identifiable as being generated by Xara software.

The camera you use to take the picture has the makers name/logo clearly visible on the case, as does my TV, my.. etc.

The meta data issue is fairly easy to solve with a batch edit of the generated HTML, but it's all a storm in a teacup.

Even if the metadata mentioning Xara was removed, it would still be easily identifiable as being generated by Xara software.
    Of course - but only by those "who knows".

Doesn't your camera produce EXIF?
    I can strip it too - if I want

The camera you use to take the picture has the makers name/logo clearly visible on the case, as does my TV, my.. etc.
    But I don't keep sticker on laptop that says "intel inside" - and If I had option to get rid of "hard mounted" logos easilly - I would do it.

It's matter of choice - and yes, as You said - given this case it's storm in a teacup.

Wow, what a response for something so insignificant, allegedly.
    Didn't know it means that much to you guys.

I can strip it too - if I want
    Yes. You can strip generator meta as well.
    John.

I too was looking at this exact 'problem' today; one of my clients is looking to get a "professional" in to see how to SEO the website I designed for them with Xara. The first thing this guy will do is belittle me by immediately telling them I use a wysiwyg tool and a child could do it. Xara makes things so simple that I agree with CurlyInKC, someone with much more knowledge than me will be ripping the site to shreds to gain kudos with their/my client and justifying their huge SEO fees with such statements.
    I also agree that Xara make a great product and deserve praise, but after buying the software, surely that is our debt paid, and any resulting design should be free of Xara references? Of course, if the product was free, then this question would not arise.
    From some of the replies here, I see they do not make a living designing sites otherwise they would agree with our wishes to keep the software developers name out of things.

With or without metatags, anyone looking at the HTML will realise immediately that it had been built using an automated tool and not by hand or a HTML template. The code produced by Xara is so differrent to that which designers would normally produce that it will attract comments regardless of the metatags being there or not.

What will be interesting is the fee they will pay the SEO "expert" compared to what you have charged them.

andymack - I would just ask the client if she or he is happy with the site design and functionality?

As far as removing the created with Xara tag. Nonsense. If you are using pre-designed templates and trying to pass them off as your own designs, you could be using dozens of different pre-designed templates. Xara is a really excellent product, but no web design software is going to design the website. The designer has to have the ability to make the site work.

I would ask to see the sites the SEO expert designed. I would bet you they are pure crap.