Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lines do not print

I am presently drawing a map for inclusion in a paper dealing with old tracks and paths in the Snowy Mountains of Australia. There is nothing fancy about the map-certainly not at this stage. However I have come across a problem that has bothered me at other times and I've never really solved.

Some of the lines in my xar file do not print. I cannot see any difference between them and the other ones on the map but clearly there must be a setting that I have inadvertantly set (or not set). I have included the map for people to have a fiddle with.

I am using XDP6 and have labelled the troublesome lines A, B, C & D. Everything else prints but them. I have changed line thickness, colour and split one of the lines to no avail.

The file is attached Yagby Trails.xar

If I make a PDF then everything, including the troublesome lines prints.

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

thanks, Erik

Default Re: Lines do not print

Hello Erik,

I have attached a screen shot of a PDF I created after printing. Both agree. In other words, it prints as it shows.

I hate to ask, but are you printing to an inkjet? If so, try forcing the printer (usually in its setup) to print all colors in black. If the file then prints, it may be something in the printer...needs new cartridges, cleaned cartridges, or ...

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yagby_trails.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	81180  

Hi Mike,
    No. I'm using a B&W laser.

What is puzzling:

The xar file shows but does not print the lines.
    the pdf file shows and prints the lines.

Can you confirm that the xar file prints or does not print the lines on your machine? That seems to be the critical one to me. Why can they be seen in xar but not printed?

Erik

do

Try this:

Go to File>Print>Options>Output and select Print as Anti Aliased Bitmap.

If that fixes it it is a bug that has been around since version 4 (or maybe earlier).

also I used 'convert line to shape' from arrange menu on the offending lines and they printed fine directly to my laser printer
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Erik,

The problem is that the lines are too complex for the printing subsystem in XDP/Xtreme. You need to split them into smaller sections.

Divide each one roughly in two and if they still don't print divide each section again, etc., until they do. Group the results so you can still treat each road, river or trail as a single object.

Phil

Thanks Derek, Handrawn and PhilM for the extra information. I have tested your workarounds and they all work in my situation. Al I have to do is remember them in future.

I was intrigued by your answer Phil about the lines being too complex. I presume that complexity will be a function of line length, line profile, degree of freehand smoothing etc. My question: Is it possible to read or measure the line complexity as you are going along? That would be useful as it could warn you of approaching the limit. At the moment it is a bit hit and miss as far as I can see.

I also chased the archives and found the "line profile printing" mail by Masque in September 2010. My problem would appear to be another varient of the same situation.

Thanks again for your help
    Erik

Erik,

(1) Select an offending line
    (2) Switch to Solo mode for that line
    (3) Select the Shape editor tool (F4)
    (4) Select all nodes on the line by dragging your cursor over the entire line
    (5) Use the Smoothing slider to reduce the node complexity

Do this for each of the lines. I have attached a copy.

Alternatively, you can import the PDF as it simplifies the nodes anyway.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mike,
    That is a great solution and more elegant than splitting and resplitting. Also it taught me how to simplify lines after creating them and moving on. Most useful.

thanks again,
    Erik