Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara with Wordpress

Hi! I am just starting out with Xara. I have a few sites that are already up with Wordpress.org. I would like to continue using WP, and use Xara as the web-designer/theme (WP is crappy : ))
    Does anyone know if it is possible to upload Xara Web design 7 to a wordpress site? If so, is there anything special I need to do or just do a standard "upload"?
    Would it be better to export/import?

Thanks!
    Dona

Default Re: Xara with Wordpress

I think you'll have major problems using Xara with wordpress. The HTML generated by Xara isn't really suited to use as a wordpress theme.

Welcome to talkgraphics!
    Last edited by pauland; 17 April 2011 at 09:19 PM.

[spam removed]
    Last edited by covoxer; 18 April 2011 at 05:06 AM.

There's definitely something "special" you'd need to do.
    You could make a "wrapper" in Xara, and display a Wordpress site in an iFrame inside that.
    Or you could use Xara for making graphic elements for a Wordpress theme.
    The themes themselves are made in php and css.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

If you use Xara to try and build a wordpress theme, it will always be a kludge - trying to bend Xara to allow dynamic HTML with iFrames.

Wordpress is not just about page content, it's also about page navigation, so you'll really need to be determined about Xara to make it work. Even then it won't be as good as a CSS based implementation, which will adapt to variable sized content unlike any template you build using Xara (yes, you could have variable content inside an iFrame, but your placeholder is going to be fixed size so you'll need ugly scrollbars).

If you have the skill to integrate wordpress well with a Xara generated html page design, you probably have the skill to do it just using Xara for design elements and not use the HTML page generation at all.

great topic! So, I'd like to design a header in xara, more for the graphical "look" using a certain font and custom design etc...how would one import this into WP? The theme I have now is not working for me. I love to use Xara to design from a visual standpoint but I would be happy with letting WP do the rest if possible. This is the type of thing I've been looking for. Thanks!

Mark

Mark, since you're planning on using Xara to make a header graphic for Wordpress, you'd probably be better off asking the question on a wordpress forum and you'll get a lot of advice for a lot more besides. Wordpress doesn't care what you use to make graphics for it.

Paul

Good day to all. I have a website for my business. It was setup with wordpress. I have xara web designer 7 premium. I have made a page with it and want to upload it. doesn't seem to want to do that. how do i change my site to allow a xara web page?

You could create a folder on your sites root, named Xara or wahetever you like.
    Publish from Xara into this folder, and link to the page from the Wordpress pages.
    The link should be /Xara/ (or just Xara/ , depending on how the site is set up?)
    The full, non-relative link would be http://yoursite_here.com/Xara/

At the risk of being shot to death ....

I use WordPress where the client wants(or needs) to maintain the site. Xara is still easier on the design part, but Wordpress has so many plugins for SEO alone. And my packages include complete one-on-one training.

I was joking at the top. We're all here to serve our clients. I do like all the suggestions to use Xara for AT LEAST the graphics.