Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default External Links open as Mailto:

I'm trying to open an external link in a new window, seems like it would be rather simple. However, after copying the link, putting it into the field for external link/mailto, telling it to open in a new window...the link opens a new window and an Outlook envelope shows up with the http:// link as the address to send an email to.

Is this a bug of some sort? Any way to fix it? I thought it would be like a 30 second change..

Default Re: External Links open as Mailto:

Welcome to TalkGraphics Kevin

All you need to do is add the e-mail address. Xara will do the rest. There is no need to check open new window because this is done automatically.

The e-mail is automatically changed to a mailto: command in Xara which opens the visitor's e-mail client. This is different depending on the visitor's e-mail program and is done automatically. There is nothing for you to do.

If you want, you can add after the email address ?subject=Your Subject. For example g.priester@comcast.net?subject=Feedback from Here and There opens the visitor's e-mail program and automatically adds Feedback from Here and There in the Subject line of the e-mail message.

England (Amongst the green rolling hills of the East Midlands)

I learn something new every time I visit this site (which is often) - had never realised you could populate the subject field of emails in the way Gary covers above.

Many thanks for this little gem (a kind of lettuce we seem to see a lot of here in the UK!)

Do a Google search for mailto, you will find several excellent resources that provide more info as to what you can do with the mailto, example mailto:shamblen@precisionmarbleinc.com?cc=rgordon@ precisionmarbleinc.com&Subject=Attn Scott Hamblen, Phoenix Metro Sales - Email from Precision Marble Website

You will discover that there is a lot that you can do. There are also some applications that will created a character string that will populate the body of the email with text. You can do this manually but it is rather difficult and highly subject to your fingers punching the wrong keys.
    jgt

I'd appreciate it if you read my post. I don't want a mailto. At all. I'm trying to do an external link in another window but it uses the link as a mailto...

Your link contains @ characters. Replace all of them with %40.
    For example, if your link is:

www.myurl.com/set1.php?line@ABC

replace it with:

www.myurl.com/set1.php?line%40ABC
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCR View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you read my post. I don't want a mailto. At all. I'm trying to do an external link in another window but it uses the link as a mailto...
    Then all you have to do is correctly past the URL in the slot, such as http://www.wbglassworks.com/products.html
    and at the bottom of that section (section defined by the light gray outline) for Open link click on the drop down and select "New window (_blank)"

Suggestion - in that two people did not correctly decipher your post there may be a problem with your communication, e.g. what you thought you said is not the meaning that others received from your communications.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Link to 04-14-2011 10-34-20.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	80981  
    jgt

I agree jgt, I just reread the initial question and it is rather vague.

Keven, if none of these answers your question, then please rephrase your question.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Your link contains @ characters. Replace all of them with %40.
    For example, if your link is:

www.myurl.com/set1.php?line@ABC

replace it with:

www.myurl.com/set1.php?line%40ABC
    Thank you. That fixed it. Apparently someone understood