Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting with Web6...basic issue

I have my website ready to export and publish and am confused about the exporting feature. Specifically, I have no idea which format to use and wish to keep the issue simple. Anyone want to have some fun with this one?

Default Re: Exporting with Web6...basic issue

As I understand it, EXPORTING converts all of your pages into HTML format but only saves the pages onto your PC's hard disk. PUBLISHING both exports the pages to your hard disk as HTML but then automatically moves on to the second step of publishing it to your hosting service's server using FTP.

Exporting is also quite handy for saving individual images that you may have copy/pasted into your document from elsewhere by selecting the images then choosing the export function EXPORT (there's also an EXPORT JPEG and EXPORT PNG to save you a bit of time). For reasons of file size, it's best to use the JPEG(JPG) format for photographs; PNG are normally used for drawn graphics like icons, lines and pointers etc. You can also use the EXPORT selection to save various objects to your hard disk e.g. videos, pdfs etc

If you just want to publish your website all you need to do is save it first and then select PUBLISH. (You'll need your user name and password for your web hosting service first time around.)
    Last edited by steve911; 12 April 2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: addition

What specifically do you not understand?

Your web hosting company should have a section on their website with FTP instructions.

Fill in the blanks as shown except replace my descriptions with the appropriate information.

Press Apply. Then you are ready to publish.

You will have to publish to a folder on your computer first. I often keep a folder on my desktop and publish my site first to this folder and then to my web host.

Does this help? Or is there something I am not covering?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftp.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	80949  

There are two choices of export - the first on the list is for exporting graphics etc. The second on the list export WEBSITE is the one you want. I have a habit of hitting the first one by mistake, it is a bit confusing.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

England (Amongst the green rolling hills of the East Midlands)

Hi Grace,

There are two kinds of Export - 'Export Image' and 'Export WebPage'

Export image, does what it says - it exports just a single image of the current page, as a pattern of pixels to an image file (e.g. a JPEG or PNG file) - but this is just an image, not a web-page.

The other kind of Export, as you might have guessed, converts your design (which might consist of multiple pages, with many images, passages of text, links, etc) to a fully working web site and writes a copy to a location of your choice (either on your PC where you can audition it - or on a Web-Server where the rest of the world can admire it).

Hope this helps, if not, please restate the part of exporting that confuses you and the TalkGraphics community is sure to try to offer more help.

I was trying to help "getinthere" - I know the difference but I still hit the wrong option on a regular basis
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11