Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Dynamic website, cms and e-commerce shopping cart (wip)

Wow, I love your website ... the colors match perfectly - really nice work!

Guest Guest

Hi xtom,
    the CMS-Integration you show looks very interesting!
    Could one also add a Blog with all its basic Logic Structure but still have the Advantage to design
    Articles in the inhibited manner Xara allows for? Or will one then get the Power - but also has to
    deal with the restrictions of a Blog-Template?
    My point is - as nice as Blogs are as a concept - I really dislike that they force the User into a very
    limiting once set up "Corset".
    For Designers who often may not display their actual Customers work but have some daily experiments
    to show - which are to small to feature them on a fullblown static Webpage but too interesting
    not to share - a Blog Structure with the Freedom Xara allows for as a Layout-Tool was fantastic!

The Creamtopping was that one could also watch the outcome with all features on Ipad and such.
    Last edited by polyxo; 13 July 2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks D14

plyxo, I think what you are describing is having different blog posts using different pages designed in Xara? It's not possible at the moment as page templates can only be used at category level, but it would be possible to extend it so that different page templates can be applied to indivdual item pages such as blog posts/products etc. This means instead of just typing your blog post into the cms you could instead design your blog post fully as a page in Xara and then when you are adding your blog post in the cms just select the page you designed in Xara for the page template. Another way might be to use iframes in your blog post. So I think what you're asking would be possible.

Guest Guest

xtom,
    thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply. What you say sounds good!
    For starters I think it was cool to make seamless = graphically absolutely integrated Blogs possible.
    Examples of current techniques typically look as if non native content had been embedded (as it
    is the case).

What you describe means having one Blog Entry per Page. I could live with that but I actually prefer Blogs
    which at least by Month or by Category show all entries on just one scrolling page.

I have no Clue of Coding and possible complications - so please bear with me.
    What I however considered ideal for a Blog was to boil this format down to its very basic virtues:
    Listing stuff by date and Categories and maybe giving People an option to comment.

Instead of using a stare layout and a CMS-typical authoring Tool (some wysiwyg Text-Editor) I'd rather
    be able to create a chain of possibly very different pearls, depending on then individual contents requirements.
    Each entry would be an encapsulated piece of graphical content.

As a backbone all these posts had in common the already mentioned organisational attributes.
    Obviously what I said will have limitations - so one will not be able to change the Background just for Entry No. 3
    when it shares the page with several other Posts...
    To create Content I'd like to use Xara exclusively and gladly trade the option to Update from anywhere.
    But it was of course desirable to simply fit in another Post between two already existing Entries or to change
    the length of an existing post without having to manually rearrange stuff.

One last remark: I see that you plan do release your CMS as a commercial product.
    Maybe a scale-able solution made sense here? I for instance was currently only interested in a flexible Blog-Solution,
    controlled from Xara and not in all the E-Commerce Features you also have in the making. If that should change
    one could upgrade to the Full version of the CMS.

Greetings, Holger
    Last edited by polyxo; 14 July 2011 at 12:41 PM.

What you describe means having one Blog Entry per Page. I could live with that but I actually prefer Blogs
    which at least by Month or by Category show all entries on just one scrolling page.
    It will list multiple blog entries on each page and then when you click on a blog entry title it also has it's own dedicated page which is what I was describing previously. The listings would generally be brief text with a main title link that brings you to the main page for that particular blog post. As explained above you could design pages for the dedicated blog page but blog listings are displayed in a more uniform way. You will be able to categorise blog posts by date and by custom named categories. Comments will also be supported.

One last remark: I see that you plan do release your CMS as a commercial product.
    Maybe a scale-able solution made sense here? I for instance was currently only interested in a flexible Blog-Solution,
    controlled from Xara and not in all the E-Commerce Features you also have in the making. If that should change
    one could upgrade to the Full version of the CMS.
    Yes I'm considering two versions e-commerce version and non e-commerce version. Non e-commerce version will be cheaper for sure.

Guest Guest

Sounds great. Please keep posting updates!

I've now got a small demo blog up and running which you can check out at http://www.xt-cms.com/xara-demo/blog/ - One of the example blog posts has an iframe illustrating one way to have content/pages designed in Xara displayed within a blog post.