Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: OT - PNGs

We have had some discussions on the the merits of PNG over GIF along with the problem of browser support. There is an article at A List Apart with a work around for support of PNG in most browsers. Thought it might be of interest to some of you PNGs

Mickie

We have had some discussions on the the merits of PNG over GIF along with the problem of browser support. There is an article at A List Apart with a work around for support of PNG in most browsers. Thought it might be of interest to some of you PNGs

Mickie

Thanks Mickie.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

As a great PNG enthusiast, I'm bookmarking that straight away!

One small qualification however:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>IE5.5+/Win, bless its heart, will, in fact, display a PNG, but it doesn’t natively support alpha transparency. In IE5.5+/Win, the transparent area of your PNG will display at 100% opacity—that is, it won’t be transparent at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This may be true for true colour + alpha, but simple (not sure of the technical term for this) transparency in 4 and 16 bit PNGs has worked in IE since at least IE5 (likewise Opera 5). So, if you just want straightforward icons etc. anti-aliased to your page background, you're looking back to version 4 browsers (eg Netscape 4.x) before their transparent parts become opaque.

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

For '16 bit PNGs' in my reply above, read '8 bit PNGs'. So I knew I'd posted this mistake somewhere, but I've only just found it!

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?