Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 3D Bumpmap preview.....it's gone!

Using xpd6 pro I am experiencing a problem when using live effects '3D bumpmap'....

The preview no longer works. When activated the progress bar hangs and remains that way until I close the plugin window.

Immediately after closing the window the image now shows the 3D bumpmap effect.

So the plugin works....I've just no longer a preview to adjust settings.

Did a 'repair' re-install to xpd6 in hopes that would solve the issue...it did not.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!

Default Re: 3D Bumpmap preview.....it's gone!

Hello minstrel

Are you running Windows 7? I have seen that behavior on my laptop, running Windows 7, but not my desktop, which is still running XP.

Sometimes, it does hang with the "processing" window, but then going back to the plug-in has cleared up the problem. There is definitely some issue with the 3D Bump Map.

Peace

James

I still run with XP.

Also have xara xtreme 3.2 installed and 3d BumpMap works flawlessly. So guess, as you say, something is amiss with xdp6's version of the plugin.
    Strange, that it worked fine up to now. Something changed, just can't put a finger on it!

Thanks anyway, James
    ...I'll keep on sorting it out.

minstrel

This is a known issue related to a pretty old bug that plagued the XPE. Since the XPE was retired in favour of the photo tool, the progress bar issue has been relegated to certain LEs such as this. I still get this from time to time, on and off--most recently during an update of my bump map tutorial--and it's quite debilitating when it happens, as it makes using the bump map tool a tedious trial and error process. I've never found a reliable way to make it occur consistently, which is probably part of the reason why it's never been fixed. It's not related to specific hardware/OS/version etc.

What a pity...'cause when it works it works good!

Thanks for info Xhris...let's believe it will be fixed or something even better will be added...then you can have some fun creating yet another 'bump map' tutorial.

minstrel

I've been playing with this since you raised it. I managed to get it starting to appear with me, but not found a way to stop it yet. What I have found though now it's started, is that if when you first load up the bump map dialogue and the progress bar appears shortly after, if you click and drag once in the blue square area of the dialogue, then click and drag again but hold the mouse, after several seconds, you get preview ability back; so a possible workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    hold the mouse, after several seconds, you get preview ability back; so a possible workaround.
    Xhris, I even tried your workaround with our hamster and couldn't get it to work! [kiddin', of course]

Seriously, a bit more detail on how you go about it... I tried every combo of left-mouse, right-mouse, and so-forth....
    the progress bar just stands there laughing at me.

thanks,
    minstrel

I find that once it starts, if I restart my whole computer, it goes away. Does a computer restart fix it for you?