Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xara Advertising

Despite ticking the box "Don't Show This Again", I am every single day welcomed to the Xara community when I open XDP.

Anybody know how I can stop this annoying advertising from appearing?

Default Re: Xara Advertising

Jim are you signed into your computer with an Administrator account?

You may want to try running the program as Administrator by right clicking the desktop icon and selecting Run as administrator. This should make it possible for the program to write to the registry so your choice of "Don't show again" is recorded.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

OK tried that and it seems to have worked. Actually I didn't get the pop up when I signed in as administrator (I thought that I already was anyway), and I just fired it up in the normal way and it seems to have got rid of it.

I feel obliged to say that although it was a minor irritation, I shouldn't have been put in the position anyway. Xara should know better and do better.

Thanks for the help Bill.

I attribute it to the world economy being in such a terrible state of existance currently. Reminding people especially new users that there are many places around the web to get information and help about the program can have very positive results. Long time users like the two of us may need to be tolerant of the minor irritation.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I've run into the same issue. Oddly enough, it's not consistent, it seems like I only get the popup about 1 out of every 3 times I run the program.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Ben: It's the same for me. Intermittent - some times!

Annoying.

What ever the economy problems are and we understand that times are tough, but is annoying your users the best way to generate business?
    New or otherwise.
    Well that's my view.

Bill: I think most of us are tolerant users because I have not stopped using Xara because of the annoying pop-ups!
    I love the product/programme but I certainly wish I could get rid of the pop-up.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    What ever the economy problems are and we understand that times are tough, but is annoying your users the best way to generate business?
    I would say they are very ununtrusive. I clicked it, it went... end of story. Unfortunate that there was a hiccup that some people still got it, but in terms of overall annoyance Xara is very low on these things.

Adobe... eugh... now that's software that makes me want to smash things. I just am constantly bombarded with their updates for Air, Flash, PDF... sometimes repeatedly for the same update. On multiple computers. Now THAT's frustration. Tv.com constantly bombards you with 'join up to Facebook' over and over and over. Facebook, well I shut my account this week.

But I digress...
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Yep, pretty unobtrusive.

PDF updates are related to security for the most part. Don't mind them as someone can embed stuff to hose the computer. Frequent updates on the other Adobe stuff doesn't bother me if it relates to bugs. That's the point.

However, what the heck is the point of the "Don't show this again" check box if Xara is not going to honor the selection? It's either a bug or by intent. If a bug, I would expect a line of code needs altered. If by intent, then remove the check box. Pretty simple.

Take care, Mike

Nah, that's not advertising :-) that's just someone who has his dates mixed up ("Offer ends on 22nd March" it says on mine)
    Anyway, it's only one little click ....

Grenou

I have the same problem, it popped up at least 4 times yesterday.

I imagine it's a glitch of some sort as I really do appreciate the unobtrusiveness nature of Xara.

Marc