Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Anti Glare vs Glossy

-----------------------

I cannot find an appropriate Forum to post this Thread. If a moderator of this Forum can redirect me I would be grateful.

------------------------

Most of my work involves graphic art and photo editing.

I really dislike Glossy screens because I find my own reflection and the reflection of other background objects to be distracting.

But Anti Glare screens compromise the colours and sharpness of images.

I have not been able to find a computer screen that strikes an acceptable compromise between these two extremes. I would be grateful to receive recommendations with regards to screens that are both non-reflective, sharp and reproduce colours accurately.

Or perhaps that is like looking for the Holy Grail...

T.

Default Re: Anti Glare vs Glossy

Actually, I have a DELL Ultra Sharp 24" monitor that is extremely bright http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...9&sku=320-8277

Vibrant, Accurate Color: PremierColor technology delivers color depth of 1.07 billion and 110% color gamut (typical)
    Instead of the measly 16.7 million color you get with most RGB monitors. I am extremely happy with mine.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the feedback and link.

I have "looked" at the product online and have read the reviews. Seems like an impressive piece of kit.

Do you know of a retailer in the UK that stocks this product so that I can get a "hands-on" (or I suppose more accurately an eyes-on") of the product? I have tried PC World but they don't stock Dell monitors. They stock other Dell products but not monitors

T.

If you are looking to buy have a look at the HP range or Dell Alienware if you are doing semi professional work. If you are on a strict budget have a look at Iiyama E2409 HDS as I use this as a second monitor and it is under £150 in the UK. All I would say in extra to this is if you are spending around 7 hours a day looking at a screen do you not think your eyes a worth spending a bit more on as they have got to last you a life time.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Albacore, you are absolutely correct. If one spends a lot of time in front of a monitor (as I do) then it is a false economy to use price as the principal determinant of what model you are going to purchase.

In this case, fortunately, price is not a factor. The monitor is critical to my work and I will spend whatever it takes to get the right piece of kit. However, it is also a fact that price is not a reliable guideline to quality, performance or suitability for purpose. Just because something costs more is not a guarantee that it will provide more satisfaction.

By example, the monitor that I am looking at as I type this is an Iiyama. I have another monitor, by another well-known brand, which cost more than twice as much as the Iiyama and which is supposed to be a dedicated "Graphics" monitor..... it has always been a disappointment..... so much so that I have gone back to using the Iiyama on a daily basis. So in this case price was certainly not an accurate measure of performance.

T.

Well if you don't mind spending £600 then look at BenQ FP241W 24in as everyone in our office fights over this one. Has a great viewing angle so if the glare starts you can move your chair to stop it or turn the screen.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I'm a huge fan of ViewSonic Graphic series monitors I have just switched to their VG2228wm and have been very happy. They also have one of the better return policies for bright or dead pixels. You can return, no questions, asked within a week of purchase...if you buy it from them (internet purchase).
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Thanks Burpee, I will take a look at their website.

T.