Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Copying a page with layers from XaraExtrem5 to Webdisigner pro 6

I have a web site that I created with Xara Extreme5. I have a page with a list of 25 different items each linked to a different corresponding pop-up layer. When I click on an item in the list a layer shows up in front with a description of the item. Is it possible to copy the page with all the layers to a different site that I am creating with a new theme in Webdesigner pro 6 ? Thanks

Default Re: Copying a page with layers from XaraExtrem5 to Webdisigner pro 6

I really don't know. But there is one way to find out. Have a go.

I suspect that you may have to recreate the layers and do a lot of copy and paste. But I could be wrong.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

Hey,
    I think in designer Pro 6 you should be able to open the Xtrem 5 xar file directly, I'm sure Ive done it.
    JIm

I think that I will have to recreate everything. I have over 25 different items that are linked to 25 layers. A lot of copy/paste..
    I was hoping that there was an easier way

Xara applications can open .xar files created by earlier versions. If you are experiencing a problem opening a file created in an earlier version have you installed any plugins that were on your older machine?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

NO, I don't have any problem opening the file with Webdesigner Pro 6. What I'm trying to do, is copying a page with many layers from one web design into another webdesign(different website).
    It seems I can copy and paste the objects but not the layers.

Claudius what application are you using?

Web Designer 6 or Designer Pro 6. They are different programs with some difference in how they handle layers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

[1] create a copy of the xtreme 5 file
    [2] open the copy and delete ALL pages EXCEPT the one to be copied to the DP6 site
    [3] save the copy file (which now consists of the single page)
    [4] Open that file in Designer Pro 6
    [5] Open layer gallery and ensure that ALL layers are visible (no closed eye'con)
    [6] Go to Edit>>Select All
    [7] Go to Edit>>Copy Objects
    [8] In the site this page is to be pasted, select the blank page and go to Edit>>Paste in place

All layers are pasted

Steps 1, 2 and 3 are performed in Xtreme 5 obviously

NB Doesn't work for WD6 due to Page & Layer Gallery differences
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 23 March 2011 at 08:04 PM.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I was using Webdesigner 6 with the website that I want to copy the layers from. But now I upgraded to Designer pro6.

In Designer Pro 6 you may need to uncheck the "Same layers on all pages" option. See attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layers-option.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	80620  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update