Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Wedding Photography Tips?

My friend's mother is having a very low-budget wedding, and she asked me to be the photographer. Now, I don't have a professional camera, my camera is pretty standard, and like, beginner-beginner DSLR. I don't even think I can call it that. It's the Nikon L110, and it's not really pro standard at all.

But I want to give her great pictures of her special day. So, any tips about making great pictures with this camera?
    IP

Default Re: Wedding Photography Tips?

Hi Willie,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Your camera should be just fine for taking the wedding shots. The biggest issue with taking wedding photos is forcing the couple to give you time for those special shots, their hands together to show their wedding rings, the two of them together with a nice backdrop, etc. The couple and all the wedding party and guests will be trying to do too many things at one time. With a paid photographer they tend to listen and make time for the special photos. When a friend or relative is doing the photos they seem to just flit around aimlessly doing almost anything but listening and posing for photos.

If possible have a lady with a good eye for photos keep the couple's attention for the photos, this will allow you to concentrate on the lighting, camera angle, etc.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Last edited by Mike Bailey; 06 March 2011 at 03:27 PM.
    IP

your list of shots are great. well i will make it use on a party which will held tommorrow

thanks to u
    IP

One general multi purpose tip would be to keep the happy couple out of any strong sunshine. The strong contrast and shadows in that sort of lighting, particularly if you have limited fill flash capabilities, can make the subject matter just too harsh; with the white(?) dress becoming burnt out as you struggle to maintain realistic flesh tones as well as detail in darker areas.
    If your camera is able, try to shoot in RAW as this will give you better control over any final adjustments to the images afterwards to help you balance the tonal range and control any over black and/or burnt out lights. With or without RAW, stay out of strong sun.
    Good luck.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 23 March 2011 at 01:18 PM.
    IP

I've shot weddings and portraits for many, many years. Disregarding the technical aspects, here are my suggestions to increase the quality of your shots.
    1) Get close. Don't take pictures from far away expecting a zoom lens to help. Get in, take the shot, get out. The bride and groom will quickly realize on the next shot that you're only there for a second and done.
    2) Take control, but be polite. It's OK to ask the b&g what they want and when, but if they feel you're not that important they will treat you that way.
    3) Wedding party usually doesn't care about the photographer. If possible, make friends with the best man, or someone in the party to help direct when it's time for any group photos. They will usually listen to someone they know before listening to you.
    4) Get group shots done early. As the drinking progresses, the wedding party (men's side) tends to remove ties, jackets, etc. and look far worse than they did earlier in the evening, and less likely to want to participate in a posed photo.
    That's it for now. Good luck!

Jim
    IP