Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Out of Mrmory and frustrated

Putting an active, dynamic Wordpress blog inside an iFrame is a very good idea

Not sure what kind of limits you've heard that are in Filezilla?
    It works very well, and it is smart enough to only transfer files that have changed or are new, which makes it pretty fast to update a full site when only a few pages have changed.
    ... I need to deal with this and perhaps splitting the site is the ultimate solution.
    With a dynamic site that grows every day you can just as well start splitting right away! The sooner the better...

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot, that is, splitting the site. BTW, I gather this "out of memory" issue seems to come up a lot with others. I'm wondering whether the Xara folks are working on a solution?

Xaras web functionality grew out of a vector design program. I think in that role the software has been far more successful than Xara or anyone else imagined and I also suspect that they never imagined people using it for larger sites. I should think they do have a keen eye for memory optimisation in the future.

petner,

FileZilla can upload as many times as you would like. Publishing to a folder and uploading using FZ is one more step in the chain, but I upload sometimes 50-60 times a day when I am tweaking files on a Joomla site.

Speaking of which, a CMS solution is likely a better one for your situation. It would take a bit to port over your existing site to a "same look" but you can also take that opportunity to change the look of the site if desired. However, managing frequent content updates within Joomla is a very quick thing once you are ready.

Take care, Mike

Mike, you've given me something else to think about. I'm definitely looking into the Filezilla approach. I had the impression it was limited. On Joomla, I've heard much about it...do you know much or can you point me to more info on how I might consider porting it over?
    Tom

Hi there,

I only have 26 pages: www.defiancecombatselfdefense.com and I get very similiar issues.

My main ones are:

- Very long load times to host
    - If you click on any other program other than Xara whilst it loading or saving it freezes
    - I get the above memory issue as well
    - And at the moment it is freezing every 5 minutes or so of work, then again it can be fine for ages

The system is:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 running at 3.20 Ghz
    8 GB Ram
    64 Bit
    Vista

Are the thoughts the same as above?!

Thanks

Hi themodeller,
    I do have similar problems. What seems to help - and some advice I've seen somewhere else on the threads - is to make sure you shut down other prorgams, optimize everything and then do a save. It seems to help, but it's no guarantee. As you suggest, it seems to be intermittent. Since I'm somewhat IT-challenge I'm not sure that I'm the guy to comment on your system. But what's mind-numbing is when I only make a slight change and the program wants to upload dozens of other pages. I suspect, as one of the other responders mentioned, I gather WD has grown beyond its original design. I do wish they would do something to solve the problem...some update to resolve the issue. It's clear that we are not alone in experiencing the memory issue. Since I consider myself a content person, it's becomes very difficult to spend a disproportiate amount of time that's outside my level of expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by petner View Post
    But what's mind-numbing is when I only make a slight change and the program wants to upload dozens of other pages.
    Several people have reported this, but I think every episode that has been investigated has turned out to be due to something in the users workflow that has upset Xaras ability to know what has changed between one web export and another.

Paul,
    I obviously don't know what you know about the memory situation. You sound like you're much closer to the issue. I do have to say that I see this problem crop up a lot on these threads. And speaking for myself, I've followed all the suggestions (minus splitting up the site) each time....optimize the jpegs, save, shutdown, restart and so on. So, if I'm like the others who might have a work flow issue, I sure can't figure it out. If there's something in my work flow that would solve this, I'd love to know and would welcome a change. One of the things that brought me to WD5 & 6 was its pitch that you can do a WYSIWYG approach to building a site and you don't have to be a programmer to use it. But this is an issue calling for much more expertise to resolve. Judging from what I see, there are many others trying to deal with the issue. Unfortuantely I'm caught between the cliched rock and hard place, I'm so deep into using WD6 that making a change to another program and rebuilding my site sounds like a daunting process and a costly one. All that aside, I think WD6 is terrific, I only wish the issue would be dealt with in an update.

This explanation might help
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64