Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Out of Mrmory and frustrated

Hi Folks,
    I could use the community’s help and advice. I keep running into that “out of memory issue.”
    I’m using Web Designer 6.
    I know many others have run into the memory issue and I’ve tried to follow some of the advice posted. Still, my “out of memory” problems continue.
    Here’s my website: http://www.the247newsroom.com. The site is approximately 110 pages and here’s what I’ve done to try and deal with the memory issue:
    …when I’m building new images into my pages, I’m making certain they are JPEGS, but I do have about 20 or so images on the site that are PNGs.
    …after I optimize everything, before uploading, I save the file and then re-open it and then upload.
    Still, the problem continues.
    Because I’m somewhat IT-challenged, I’m reluctant to divide the site into separate smaller sites, for fear I’ll screw something up and create a disaster. I saw this suggested on one of the threads.
    What I also can’t quite figure out, when I only make a change to the home page adding text and a few photos, the upload process will take a long time…it seems to uploads tons of other pages and ones that I’ve never touched. And then, of course, I get the “out of memory” issue.
    Sadly, this has brought me to a terrible point. Because my graphic and IT skills are limited, I can’t seem to focus on the editorial side, because this is such a pervasive ‘technical’ problem. This is such a terrific program for someone like me and gives me an opportunity to create a very stylish look for my site….I’d hate to switch, but the solutions seem beyond me.
    The other day I tried something…a post I found by SLedger…on how to add a JS effect with the images dissolving-in , one over the other. It looked great, but when I tried another change on the home page but on the next upload, the entire site seem to upload and eventually timed-out.
    Your suggestions and help are welcomed.
    Thanks
    (Tom)Petner

Default Re: Out of Mrmory and frustrated

Tom

I know that Charles at Xara would argue with me, but I think 110 pages is really taxing Web Designer's resources.

But breaking the site down into smaller sites is not that difficult. In essence you will be creating a series of four smaller sites. Your smaller sites each get published to a separate folder that contains its own index.htm (or html) file, and index_html_files sub folder. And each of these folders will go in the root directory.

So the Job Center section will be published to a folder named job_center. Instead of an internal page link to the job_center page, you will link to the247newsroom.com/job_center The browser will look in that folder for the index page and when it finds it, it will display the page.

You can double click on your navigation bars and change the links from page links to URLs.

Trust me, if I can figure it out then it ain't that hard.

Thanks for the reply. I guess when I came into this - developing my site - I had no clue where it would take me. And then I got hooked on Web Designer and I've gone deep into creating this monster. Web Designer is really is terrific for someone like myself and helped me create a stylish site. And I do hear your advice about splitting up the site, but it's like putting my finger on the nuclear bomb. If I do the wrong things then I've screwed up months of hard work. Can you recommend a particular thread that will walk me through it in a detailed way? And, am I doing something wrong - even though I only make one or two changes on a single page - that in the upload process WD6 will upload a ton of other pages? Routinely I select uploading only changed pages.
    Tom

Tom,

Will WebDesigner save to your local hard drive without timing out? If so, consider setting up a program like the open source FTP program FileZilla to then upload your web site to your host.

Should you do the file-split technique, first make a back-up of your present file. Make the split files and test on your local computer. If all is OK, you are good to go. But if not, you will have the original file to fall back on.

Take care, Mike

With such a lot of stuff on your pages, it's hard to pinpoint anything. The home page includes a 1MB swf and 1MB GIF, so maybe they don't help.

I don't think Xara is really designed for sites such as this - lots of big pages packed with stuff. Xara seems to baulk a bit with page generation of large sites. It may be that Xara are working on that, but right now Garys suggestion is good.

I visit a lot of news sites - my favourite is BBC news. I think there's just far too much going on your pages for me want to make a habit of visiting yours. It took me a while to realise it's more about the news industry, rather than news for the masses, so I think it lacks clear organisation. When I visit a page with loads of things twirling about, I'm off.

I would suggest that you make a completely new, small project, for testing purposes only.
    Then you split that project, to get used to how you do it before you attack the big project.
    It is actually quite easy, but may feel terrifying when you have ended up with a project that have grown beyond what's comfortably handled in a single proect file.
    BTW, your site is already split, as the job_center is even on a different domain?

Thanks for the input Mike. ' I hadn't really thought about something like Filezilla...maybe I'm wrong, but as I recall it, something like Filezilla has limitations on the frequency of your uploads. Because my site is basically a 'news' content site, I'm uploading fresh materail several times day. And no, it does not time out on my computer. It has, however, timed out during the upload process. That said, I'll check into the Filezilla approach.
    When I originally put the site together I tried to anticipate this frequent upload issue and I'm using an I-frame on the jump page where I have built in a WordPress blog to handle the bulk of the changing stories. Where I run into real problems is when I have a 'contributor' send me a story/comment for posting. That's where I create a new page for them in one of several categories. Anyway, I need to deal with this and perhaps splitting the site is the ultimate solution.

Hi Pauland, yep, it's a site that really is not for the masses but for those in the broadcast industy. I have a deep background in the broadcast news business and as the former editor of a well know site in the business it's pretty clear the target audience. There is a lot going on in many of he pieces. But if I scale it back, it cuts into what differentiates me and my site from others.

Ya'know, that's a pretty basic, yet good idea. If I start small, maybe I can get the hang of it and plunge into doing the entire site. When I tried building a translucent JS that Sledger had posted, it was a slow hunt and peck to get it right. But after a number of tried, I finally got it. BTW, your're right, both my boards (SMF) and my jobs section are actually separate. The job center is really a third party add-on. Incidentally Pauland alluded to the 1MB swf and 1MB GIF I have on the site as a potnetial problem. That's actually one of the catch-22s of this memory issue. If I remove something like that, it takes away from the stylish look that WD6 gives me.

It's an ambitious undertaking. I'm not a fan of the organisation, but good luck - I can see there's a lot of work in it.