Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WPD6 vs WD6: Which one to use?

Hi All:

I've been working on a custom website in WD6. I started without any knowledge of the program-- as some of you already know--and am gradually getting up to speed. It has just occurred to me, though, that virtually all of the design functions in WD are available in WPD6. So my question is....which one should I use and why? Exactly how redundant are the programs?

I am really looking forward to finding out!

Joe

Default Re: WPD6 vs WD6: Which one to use?

Hi Joe,

By WPD6 are your referring to Xara Designer Pro 6?

If you are planning to create more of your own graphics and/or creating print related projects then XDP6 (Xara Designer Pro 6) would be better for you.

If you wish to be more of a web designer then XWD6 (Xara Web Designer 6) is completely suitable for that purpose.

XDP6 (Xara Designer Pro 6) has more tools dedicated for creating graphics and has all the web abilities of XWD6 (Xara Web Designer 6).
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Got my initials reversed. Yes WPD6 = WDP6. Designer Pro 6. So your answer suggests there is nothing that Web Designer 6 adds to the functionality of Designer Pro 6, right?

Joe there is no W in Xara Designer Pro 6.

Designer Pro has all the same functions as Web Designer 6 but also has many more drawing tools and professional graphics features.

To be totally honest, Web Designer 6 is a stripped down version of Designer Pro 6. Stripped down to only the web related features.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Funny, the Icon has a great big W on it and the software opens as Xara Web Designer Pro 6....but no matter.
    More importantly, your assessment is what dawned on me today in a blinding flash of the obvious! So I'm gonna see about returning Designer 6 (without the W and without the X).
    Thanks much.

Web Designer icon has a W but Designer Pro does not, it's icon is a D. But never mind as long as we spell out the program name we will both know what is what.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Well, I am moment by moment becoming more and more unhappy with my realization that web designer is virtually contained in designer pro. I purchased both programs within two days of each other last week and clearly deserve a refund on web designer. Discovering that there is virtually no way to speak to a live person in customer service has not improved my mood. I did reach a sales person at Magix, the entity that now owns Xara, but although he was about to issue the refund, he then discovered that he could not because I had purchased the products from Xara directly. I guess that is some kind of new definition of "ownership." Welcome to the miasma. Let's hope they step up to doing the right thing.
    Joe

Have you opened a support ticket at http://support.xara.com ?

Some of the staff at Xara Ltd do read some of the forum posts, but the only way to insure your issue being addressed is to go directly to their support web site.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I assume this is because you are from Lexington mate and Xara is originally a British company.
    Old wounds never heal! Just kidding...
    I was born outside the box! - Aridzone
    WebDesignerTemplate

You are certainly right about those old wounds--see attached photo--though I believe we won that one. (Was it the Redcoats or the Minutemen who put up that stop sign?) As for Xara, they've come through with a refund, and I am doing my part by switching to decaf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reenactment Lexington Green.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	80523