Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Logo File Format

Hi:
    I've created a business logo...I'd love some advice on the best approach and format to use to save it or export it so that it can be used over different backgrounds, in different sizes, and in both a web and publication environment.

I'd like to get suggestions for a general approach... but here are a couple of specific questions:

If I know the background color of a website header or a publication, does it make sense to place the logo on a small background rectangle of that color rather than export as a .png file?

Which file format will allow the most flexibility in resizing the logo (or should I produce it in various sizes?)

Thanks!!

Default Re: Logo File Format

My recommendation is to keep the .xar file on hand, and export as needed. If resizing/rebackgrounding/etc, it's always better to work with the original file rather than try to resize an exported .png, .jpg. or whatever.

That being said, .png with alpha is my export format of choice, personally.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Hello Joe,

If you will be needing to resize the logo your best bet is to keep a vector version handy. Your .xar file is an excellent choice.

For use on a website a .png file with alpha channel transparency will work on different colour backgrounds. However a png will not scale up without some jaggies becoming an issue. Opening the .xar and exporting to a larger size is not difficult and only takes a few seconds.

You can achieve smaller byte size files by using the coloured rectangle approach and using .png with 256 or fewer colours.

EDIT: I see Ben replied while I was still typing.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you both so much!

Hi
    I've been thinking about your advice regarding my logo and thought I would see if I am really getting it by asking you a couple of questions. Seems like the idea is to put the logo into the size that is appropriate to where it is going to go while it is still a .xar file, rather than expand or contract it after it's been exported, is that right? And are both you and Ben saying the .png format is to be preferred no matter what the destination of the file, even if it is going to the top of a letterhead, for example? And if I put export it as a .png...do I want to start out putting a rectangle behind it, grouping the logo and the rectangle, then identifying the rectangle color as the one I want to be transparent when I export it? As you can see, I don't really have this quite under control yet .
    Thanks very much!!
    Joe

Hi Joe,

You are correct that using the .xar file to export to a new size is much better than resizing an existing bitmap (raster) image. A bitmap is any image type that uses a matrix of pixels and are of type jpg, gif, png, tiff, and many others. Your .xar file is a vector graphic which does not rely on a pixel matrix but mathmatics to describe the objects within.

The png file format is one that can be used in many situations. It can create some large byte count files but supports Truecolor+Alpha and Truecolor which are important for photographic images. In addition it can also use 256 color with transparency or even a lower color count if needed to create a small byte count image. When using 256 color or less with transparency you would need to put a coloured rectangle behind your drawing (logo) and select the logo objects only, not the rectangle. When exporting to 256 color or less with transparency antialiasing is used to make the logo edges look smooth rather than jagged. Antialiasing using pixel blending with the colour of the background to achieve the smoothing effect.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update