Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taking part of an image "out" of an image????

Hey y'all,
    I'm new here. I wonder if anyone knows how to take an object "out of a raster" and bring it in to other software packages "NOT" as a rectangle? Let's say I import a picture of a horse, or even a simple shape .... can I get it out and in to other environments "NOT" as a rectagle surrounding my object with "white space" all around??
    I tried the marquee select. I added nodes, and moved them to the outline of the object, then exported to a high resolution jpg. I inserted it in to a map, and it was rectangular, and did not crop "to my marquee boundary". Even when i look at it in Windows Picture viewer, it has maintained its' "rectangular shape. What's up with that? do I need to vectorize it based on the marquee boundary or something? If so ..... how??
    Any advisement would be appreciated. Cheers everyone!!

p.s. -- if I've not been clear what it is I'm trying to do .... let me know and I'll add a print screen or two and try to explain myself more effectively.

Default Re: Taking part of an image "out" of an image????

if its a raster object it will be rectangular - no way round that, no matter how you crop, transparent pixels are still there - raster is recatngular

to decide if vectorising is an option I would need to see the image
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Welcome to TalkGraphics Dano

I use Xara Designer Pro and I would create a shape that matches the object I want to remove and use the Intersect Shapes command.

See this tutorial http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook36/page_4.htm

Thanks for the response guys,

I made some progress, but not exactly what I'm after!! I hope the attachments uploaded! The "camp tree" attachment is the original picture and "graphic 1" is the result of what I did. I selected "trace bitmap" in Corel Draw, and it did convert the pic to a bunch of vector objects. I was able to copy them "dircetly" and paste them into another software (see Graphic 1 - a print screen of the result).
    What I don't get, is no matter how I tried to tweak the settings, it does not look like a photograph any more!! Is there another method I could try?
    That's me in the tree by the way!! I climb and fell trees as a side job.

Take care, thanks, and more suggestions welcome please -- cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp tree.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	79709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graphic1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	79710  

Hi Dano,

Rather than try exporting as a jpg try a file format that supports transparency such as png or gif. A truecolor with alpha png should still look like a photograph and the extra pixels that make the rectangle will be transparent rather than white.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello

Here are two different methods of doing it...

One is to use SkyCleaner plug-in from Xero plug-ins (Free) and that gives...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeClipped2.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	79715

[Messing with the settings, you can get even better results.]

Another way to do it is to vectorize the tree (Vector Magic) and use that to mask out the sky...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeClipped.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	79714

As your image has a bright sky behind it, the part of the image you are after is as much a silhouette as a picture.

Follow Soquili's advice and don't use jpg. Png is best for this...

Peace

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 02 February 2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Artistic License

Very impressive James (and thanks everyone by the way). Can I do this with Corel Draw, Photo paint, Paint Shop Pro, or Adobe Photoshop. I don't have Xero (is it expensive?). Anyway, I believe I need to vectorize the image and remove the unwanted colour filled polygons in the background (ie - the sky areas) to accomplish what I'm after. However, I want to do this without losing the original look of the photo.
    Can I do this with one of the packages I mentioned? If not, how much is the Xero, and besides the free plug-ins, are the extensions expensive?

Thanks ... just looked briefly at the tutorial at the URL you sent. It looks like PSP & Photoshop may do this (from what I read). A project just landed on my desk, so I'll have to put this on hold for the moment (but i will get back to it!!). Thanks again!!

You can do it in Photoshop.

The Xero plug-ins set is free. It just has to be downloaded and installed.

Look at http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/freeware.htm

Take care

James

You can also accomplish the task in Xara. I was recently informed of this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8XgHkZo1J8