Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: JPG's on Text.

Default JPG's on Text.

at this time, only texture can load on the side of the text and nothing else. I would like to add my own jpg, bitmap, gif, to the side of letters. Can this go in version 8?

Thanks
    Rob

Default Re: JPG's on Text.

Hi Rob

This requires texture mapping which I suspect if it were easy, it would have been added long ago.

The attached is very crude but it is something you can try. Change your lighting to values of gray instead of colors and try to get as much separation as you can.

Export the text or symbol as a PNG with transparency.

In one of the Xara vector drawing applications, create an outline of the 3D symbol or text. Apply your texture to the shape. Bring the gray exported 3D shape to the top and apply transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	80201  

An excellent solution, Gary!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Gary, here's a couple of pictures that I have done in the past. The hockey puck is just a dot with a .jpg So, now I wanted to use a dot (period) to place a jpg on. Now, it works with just about any .jpg you want to place on the surface. But, if a jpg will work on the surface, then why not on the side only?

The other one is what I am trying to accomplish. I'm not sure if you can adjust the jpg. Logic dictates that you can. Now, it will display on the bottom of the can which is the surface or face of the text. But, you will see that the jpg will only show on the bottom. Now, if I select "side of text" it will not work, but it only works on the front. Now, I can get just about any picture or texture to work on the face of the text. Plus I can get any texture to only work on the front only and the side only. But no jpg's on the the side.

The last picture of the soccer ball is just for bragging!

Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice job with the soccer ball.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Nice job with the soccer ball.
    Thank you. However, what do you think, isn't it kind of weird that I can use jpg's on the front of texts and not on the side? And, who do I talk with over at Xara about seeing if they can add this ability to the next version?

Thanks Gary for your help!