Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Wink Navigation Bar Changes, etc.

Okay, I am ready to throw in the towel on this one. I have read the HELP menu, I have read the forums, but I STILL cannot figure out how to do something so simple it is mind-boggling! How in 3 or so EASY steps do I change the color on a doggone Navigation bar? I am so frustrated right now. This is what I have done so far:

1. Choose nav bar, clicked on Edit Nav bar, menu styles
    2. chose 'Edit' colors, changed colors or so I thought, within that page
    3. nothing changed

Then I ungrouped everything on the Nav bar. Was able to change color, but fonts disappeared. Tried "Arrange", forward, back, etc. No text. I managed to regroup the nav bar buttons that now have no text and chose "Create Nav Bar" - didn't work because the pop-up said I had to start from scratch. (naturally). So, in disgust I deleted the whole nav bar except the text I had put on top. So now I have a line of text for the buttons but NO buttons. So I went to the Gallery to get said buttons, however before bringing them into my project, I decided that I would change their color first - still no good. I am ready to quit and go back to my other program which isn't nearly as wonderful as XWD6, but easy to navigate. Why is this so difficult? Rhetorical question, I am sure I am missing something so simple. This is the second site I will have created with XWD6 but the first one where I need to change the colors of the buttons. I know all the other Nav bar tricks and edits and they work perfectly; this little gem is making me crazy!

So, with all of that, can someone assist me by telling me, step by step either 1) how to change EXISTING IN TEMPLATE nav bar colors, or 2) making a nav bar with MY colors and putting it on my site. I need step by step.

It's always the easy stuff that is the most frustrating.

Many thanks for any help.

Margaret

Default Re: Navigation Bar Changes, etc.

Margaret - Calm down, this is not this hard. Well, actually, not all that easy either, until you get the hang of it.

The Edit Styles menu in the Navigation Bar menu only changes the appearance of the fly out or drop down sub menus.

When you select the option to Ungroup to Edit Graphics you are left with all your buttons. But these buttons are Soft Grouped. When you remove the Soft Group (Arrange menu) you are left with two grouped buttons on two layers, the MouseOff and MouseOver layers. So, is this confusing? YES!

So here is what you need to do. (Trust me, I'm a doctor. Well not really a doctor, I just play one on the Internet).

1. Upgroup the Navigation Bar to Edit graphics
    2. Delete all the buttons except for one.
    3. Select the remaining button and from the Arrange menu, select Remove Soft Group. This leaves two groups on two layers.
    4. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the rectangle and change the color as you wish. Ctrl clicking selects one element in a group. To modify the text, select it with the Text Tool.
    5. In the Page and Layer Gallery, make the MouseOver Layer invisible (click the eye icon). Edit the MouseOff button.
    6. When you are happy with the mouse off and mouse over layers, make both layers visible, select both button groups and Arrange > Apply Soft Group.

Now with the soft group selected you can recreate the Navigation Bar.

I hope this helps. If not, we are here to help.

This help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	change-navbar-theme-colours-wd6-dp6.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	80189  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I am not an idiot, but I play one on the Internet!

John - I never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Margaret - Calm down, this is not this hard. Well, actually, not all that easy either, until you get the hang of it.

The Edit Styles menu in the Navigation Bar menu only changes the appearance of the fly out or drop down sub menus.

When you select the option to Ungroup to Edit Graphics you are left with all your buttons. But these buttons are Soft Grouped. When you remove the Soft Group (Arrange menu) you are left with two grouped buttons on two layers, the MouseOff and MouseOver layers. So, is this confusing? YES!

So here is what you need to do. (Trust me, I'm a doctor. Well not really a doctor, I just play one on the Internet).

1. Upgroup the Navigation Bar to Edit graphics
    2. Delete all the buttons except for one.
    3. Select the remaining button and from the Arrange menu, select Remove Soft Group. This leaves two groups on two layers.
    4. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the rectangle and change the color as you wish. Ctrl clicking selects one element in a group. To modify the text, select it with the Text Tool.
    5. In the Page and Layer Gallery, make the MouseOver Layer invisible (click the eye icon). Edit the MouseOff button.
    6. When you are happy with the mouse off and mouse over layers, make both layers visible, select both button groups and Arrange > Apply Soft Group.

Now with the soft group selected you can recreate the Navigation Bar.

I hope this helps. If not, we are here to help.
    GW - if anything I want to thank you for the laugh! I know it isn't rocket science, but boy do these little things get the best of me! I like (and understand!) your explanation and will try that next. I know you can also drop colors onto the Nav bar, but one must go through the steps you have outlined first. I will give it a shot shortly and see how I do. I really love this program; I guess I expect [I]everything to be easy!

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the laugh and your patience :-)

-M

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    This help?
    Neo, everything helps!! Thank you :-) I will use that too!

GW, I have followed what you have said, but I am kind of stuck on #5. I went to the page and layer gallery, when I click the EYE icon for the MouseOff option, my whole page is covered up by the background color. What am I trying to accomplish with this step? What should that menu say when it is correct?

-M

Okay. New problem, well two, but one I can figure out I am sure. Because I didn't understand step #5 completely, the mouse over on the button I created the Nav Bar with which was the HOME button, now the mouse over is not working, but it works on the other buttons I added. Maybe it doesn't work because I am ON the Homepage while previewing. The much bigger issue is the shape of my buttons; they are all exactly like the HOME button; rounded corners on the left and flat edge on the right! Seriously, is it really this difficult? So, now I have to figure out how to change the SHAPE of the button. If it's not one thing it's another!

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank again :-)

Margaret

Well, I decided that I couldn't wait so I just gave up on totally customizing and simply went with another template theme. I am sure it will work fine, I just wanted a slightly different lay out, but for the product and the person I am doing this for, this newer, color "correct" theme will work until I learn more about the complexities of Navigation Bars. I am grateful for the quick feedback, you are all truly wonderful!

I am sure I will need help again, real soon!

Thanks again,

Margaret