Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do I know what page I'm working with in XWD 6

Before I really start on the conversion of my 100+ page website how in the heck do I easily know what page I'm about to edit or easily find the page I want to modify? In Dreamweave it is real easy to find my desired page and I know exactly what page I'm working on by looking at the tab at the top of my edit window.

Default Re: How do I know what page I'm working with in XWD 6

Bottom right it should say "Page x of n".

The scrollbar allows you to scroll through the pages.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Bottom right it should say "Page x of n".

The scrollbar allows you to scroll through the pages.
    YEA - I knew that there had to be a simple solution!!!!
    Big Thanks

I just tried to find info about the bottom of the window in the help file but could not find anything.

I assume there is no way for the user to expand the information in this area? The display field is not large enough to display my full page name. With my 100 page site I'll have several pages starting with something like "products-shower-pan-xxxx-yy" where xxxx is the type number and yy is the model number of the product. With the current field most of the name is not displayed.

You also have the Pages & Layers Gallery, which you can widen as much as you want..

As far as scroll bars go...why are there no scroll bars in XWD6 itself? I can 't figure out how to get to the top or the bottom of the page I'm working on. Sometimes Page Up or Page Down works, sometimes it doesn't, but if it does, it doesn't center the image, and there are no scrollbars to allow me to move from side to side. Is there some configuration setting I've made that removes the scroll bars?

And, since I don't know where else to post these questions:

1. Why does my text extend far off to the right side when I look at the preview of the page, even though it looks fine on the screen before I preview it?

2. Why is there such a huge area above the actual beginning of the page? That area doesn't show up in the preview, so what is its purpose?

3. Why can't I size things vertically or horizontally only using the handles on an object?

4. How do I put my own background in a design created from a template?

5. I dragged the length of the design downwards to create additional area. Right now it just has a border and a fill, but when I look at it in the preview, the additional area does not display, and the bottom edge is sharp, not rounded like it is in the design.

I have tons of other questions, but these are the most pressing ones. Is there a topic for general questions so that I don't have to search for a topic about scroll bars, one about backgrounds, one about sizing, etc.

I'm just trying to make a quick single page with a link to something that the reader needs to pay to download. If the basic stuff is this difficult, I shudder to think what I face when I get to the e-commerce widgets part of things.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkn View Post
    You also have the Pages & Layers Gallery, which you can widen as much as you want..
    This works MUCH better!!!! Plus I can move it to my second monitor but it does limit what I can see on it and I keep overlaying it with something on the second monitor. Another good reason to get four monitors......

Thanks for the suggestion, this is similar to the "Files" nav pane in DW.

As far as scroll bars go...why are there no scroll bars in XWD6 itself? I can 't figure out how to get to the top or the bottom of the page I'm working on. Sometimes Page Up or Page Down works, sometimes it doesn't, but if it does, it doesn't center the image, and there are no scrollbars to allow me to move from side to side. Is there some configuration setting I've made that removes the scroll bars?
    I'm very new to XWD as well and running to some of the same issues you have. Actually there are scroll bars, in my window they are rather small and difficult to see. As I understand XWD the thought process is to click on something outside the page and the cursor will change to a hand, keep holding down the clicker and you can move the entire page. Personally I don't find this helpful. Adobe does the same thing and I don't like it in their products either. I'd MUCH rather allow rotating my scroll wheel to scroll up/down the page.

Other things I've discovered regarding scrolling.
    1) With my scroll wheel, if I press it to the left or right it will move the page left and right.
    2) Press the Ctrl+rotate-the-wheel will zoom in/out. When you zoom in the placement of the mouse determines the the center of the zoom (but not the center of the screen).

Why does my text extend far off to the right side when I look at the preview of the page, even though it looks fine on the screen before I preview it?
    I think this is a bug in XWD I just noticed it myself about an hour ago and the solution was to make the text box about 15-20 pixels narrower.

Why can't I size things vertically or horizontally only using the handles on an object?
    This one still has me going is circles as well. You can size it
    1) IF you have more than four handles
    2) Select it with the Selector tool, in the toolbar click once on the little lock (about in the middle of the bar), the background color will change from dark gray to light gray (I think when it is light gray it is unlocked, too bad they don't change the icon to a lock that is unlocked). Then you can change either the W/H by using the increase/decrease icons or changing the pixel values. I've been using the little icons.
    3) If it is a text box, select the text tool, click on any text, the text box will now have a light green dash line box around it and you can grab a corner an resize it.

How do I put my own background in a design created from a template?
    I'm still trying to figure this out. I cannot help with the other questions ....

I finally solved one thing: my screen was set to full-screen. I now have scroll bars. Whew.

Haven't found the other answers yet, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Sorry, jgt1942, I missed your response somehow.

You say,

"I think this is a bug in XWD I just noticed it myself about an hour ago and the solution was to make the text box about 15-20 pixels narrower."

That would seem to make sense, but no matter what size font or how wide or narrow the text box is, same result. The size of the type doesn't change no matter what I set it to, the shape of the text box seems to have no relevance to the output. The output text always starts in the same space, and the end of the line runs off to the right. I'm not having any effect on output.

(My wireless mouse died. That's when I discovered that there is no place to plug in a wired mouse. So, I am using a Wacom pad and stylus as a mouse. It was engineered for right-handed people, but I am left-handed, so it's really painful to try and right click. Worst of all: No scroll. Therefore, I am envious of the scroll-wheel I once took for granted.)

This one still has me going is circles as well. You can size it
    1) IF you have more than four handles
    2) Select it with the Selector tool, in the toolbar click once on the little lock (about in the middle of the bar), the background color will change from dark gray to light gray (I think when it is light gray it is unlocked, too bad they don't change the icon to a lock that is unlocked). Then you can change either the W/H by using the increase/decrease icons or changing the pixel values. I've been using the little icons.
    3) If it is a text box, select the text tool, click on any text, the text box will now have a light green dash line box around it and you can grab a corner an resize it.

What does it mean if I have a red dashed-line box around it? and not a green one? Sometimes it green, sometimes its red.

I was able to successfully drag a text box as far to the left as I wanted, but that seems to have caused the repel feature to no longer apply to objects. And now the text is a total of three long lines running off the right edge of the screen, so I guess I have now made the text box wider than it was before. I just don't understand. If I see the whole of the box with text all arranged perfectly inside it on my layout, why doesn't it look like that when I preview it?

Make sure you are resizing the text area with the text tool, not the Selector Tool.

"Why is there such a huge area above the actual beginning of the page? That area doesn't show up in the preview, so what is its purpose?"

It's the 'pasteboard' area and not part of the 'page area'

"Why can't I size things vertically or horizontally only using the handles on an object?"

Objects CAN be drag-sized - H&V - via handles. Blocks of text can't because this will distort the text. Browsers can't render squashed or compressed fonts. This is related to your question 1

Come to think of it, I think H & V drag sizing of objects might only be available in XDP not XWD.
    EDIT Sorry, that's photos I'm thinking of
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 27 February 2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Self-Correction and spilling mistook
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64