Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XDW6 - novice questions

I saw a YouTube of XW6 and was impressed. Now I got some novice questions. I have one site that has just over 100 PHP pages (http://precisionmarbleinc.com/) that were created in DreamWeaver (I'm not a DW expert by any measure). Looking through the XDW templates I saw one that I liked (Zcard) and would like to use it.

1. How do I automatically replicate the header and footer on all pages that I create? And if I make a change to either will the change automatically get replicated to all pages? For my current site they are an include.
    2. In that I have 100+ pages to recreate how do I go at this a few pages at a time? Where do you suggest I start?
    3. I need to recreate the function of http://www.design-imaging.com/dicad/main.php, can I do this with XDW?
    4. Is it correct that XWD stores everything in one file? If so how do I easily navigate a page I need to update if I have over 100 pages?
    5. On my current site I currently have almost 800 images in various folders in an image folder. Where are the images stored in XWD? What if I want to use the same image in multiple places and later change the image, does it get changed everywhere? If it does not get changed everywhere how do I know where the image has been used?
    6. I've added a mailto link (mailto: JoeJones@xyz.com) to some text but when I preview the page and mouse over the text my mouse cursor does not change and clicking on the link does not do anything. Should I see the correct action in the preview?
    7. In the mailto link I know how to add a subject but can I also add the date and time the email link was clicked? I'd like for the subject to be something like Attention - Joe - Message from XYA Website on 2011 0224 at 1845 Hours
    8. How can I add day and date to my header (automatically updated and displayed), e.g. Today is Thursday 24th of February 2011? In PHP I can do this with <?php print "Today is " .date("l dS of F Y");
    9. Can I create breadcrumbs in XWD?

Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by jgt1942; 25 February 2011 at 06:56 AM.

Default Re: XDW6 - novice questions

How do I automatically replicate the header and footer on all pages that I create?
    You can use repeating objects in WD for this purpose.
    And if I make a change to either will the change automatically get replicated to all pages?
    If it's a repeating object - yes.
    For my current site they are an include.
    You can use includes (PHP includes presumably?) in WD via code placeholders.
    In that I have 100+ pages to recreate how do I go at this a few pages at a time? Where do you suggest I start?
    That depends on the structure of your site and the way you want it to work.
    I need to recreate the function of http://www.design-imaging.com/dicad/main.php, can I do this with XDW?
    You can use the same script you are using now. With code placeholders you can insert any code you need into the page.
    Is it correct that XWD stores everything in one file?
    Yes.
    If so how do I easily navigate a page I need to update if I have over 100 pages?
    I would suggest you divide your site into separate sections and make a WD document for each one of them. It is not recommended to have so many pages in a single WD document.
    Where are the images stored in XWD?
    Basically, you should not worry about where they are stored. WD generates all the images on export automatically. As you add some graphics to your design, it's all stored in the WD document. If you have the same image on multiple pages and want to be able to replace them simultaneously, you can use repeating objects.
    I've added a mailto link (mailto: JoeJones@xyz.com) to some text but when I preview the page and mouse over the text my mouse cursor does not change and clicking on the link does not do anything. Should I see the correct action in the preview?
    Yes, you should see the correct action in the preview. Presumably, you made some mistake.
    can I also add the date and time the email link was clicked
    No. You can do this with a script however.
    In PHP I can do this with <?php print "Today is " .date("l dS of F Y");
    You can use it in WD too.
    Can I create breadcrumbs in XWD?
    No. However, you can do this with a script.
    Thanks!!!!
    You are welcome.
    John.

I would suggest downloading the fully functional trial. XWD is great but completely differrent to Dreamweaver.

DAMN - I just created a rather long posting and when I clicked to add it the damn token had timed out (#$%(@#Q$&

Questions - when creating repeating objects any setting to have the repeating objects automatically updated rather than clicking Arrange > Update Repeating Objects.

Where can I get infomation about creating scripts, the help file is super short on this.

I've discovered that the problem I'm having with the email link is because I've applied the link to a text box that is in the header. I modifed the text box that was on the template. Are there any unique properties assoicated to a text box that would prevent me making some text an email link? My link works if I select text in the body.

How many pages or what is the suggested limit of the file size since I have over 100 pages?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I would suggest downloading the fully functional trial. XWD is great but completely differrent to Dreamweaver.
    I purcased the XWD last night, thus I have the full version. It is super different than DW!!!!

Yeah, it's not in any way a competitor to Dreamweaver, it takes a wholly different approach to web design. Nice isn't it?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

OK I got the email link to work by creating a new text box.

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    Yeah, it's not in any way a competitor to Dreamweaver, it takes a wholly different approach to web design. Nice isn't it?
    Yes it is SUPER nice - as soon as I can replicate the function at http://www.design-imaging.com/dicad/main.php, I'm going to recreate the entire site (over 100 pages) which obviously is no easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
    I purcased the XWD last night, thus I have the full version. It is super different than DW!!!!
    It always surprises me that people often buy without downloading the fully-functioning trial (it does everything that the paid version does).

Hope you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It always surprises me that people often buy without downloading the fully-functioning trial (it does everything that the paid version does).

Hope you like it!
    I like it very much but (1) as with all applications it has a learning curve - I've viewed numerous videos I've found and all were helpful, (2) I don't like the limitations or the things that work weirdly.

I saw a post as an reply to another post I made where that users lets XWD do most of the work and then he ports the results to his other application. I'm going to give this a try with Dreamweaver and see if this will work for me.