Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What are all duplicate object possibilities in Xara?

ctrl+k followed by nudge?

you'll have to set the nudge value yourself up front, and then you just repeat ctrl+k followed by nudge

EDIT - mind you that's just the same as duplicate, which is only one keystroke - AFAIK there is no way to do it on the fly
    Last edited by handrawn; 23 February 2011 at 10:51 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It's often possible to place things roughly - perhaps with the first and last precisely placed, then use the alignment options.
    That's precisely how I do it. I almost always have the alignment dialog open so for me this is an intuitive way to do it. In addition to that, if you decide to move one of the end objects and then re-select them all, one click on Apply in the Alignment dialog box re-spaces the objects equidistant a second time. I like this way of working. It's intuitive and allows me the freedom and the tools to pose my objects as the mood takes me. It's nice not to be constrained
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll use a combination of all the advice given here. Thanks handdrawn specially!

Or you could use blend - create the first, create the last and blend between.

Christine

pleasure

being able to set a nudge/duplicate distance by eye would be a useful thing to have in designer I reckon
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    You can use snapping and the right-click trick.

Either:
    * Setup the grid to give the spacing you want, turn on grid snapping, drag the source object so that it's snapped where you want and drop a copy using right-click. Keep doing that until you have what you want.
    or:
    * Turn on magnetic object snapping, pick up the source object by the point you want to snap then drag until it's snapped to some other other point on the object and then drop a copy using right-click. Keep doing that until you have what you want.

Phil
    .. and holding Ctrl while doing above snaps to additional 90 and 45 degrees rulers. So you can drag and copy objects exactly vertically horizontally or diagonally. Altogether it is: Ctrl+LeftClick+RightClick, then release Right Click when moving and release Left Click when dropping an object.

Copy and Paste + Copy and Paste in Place (Ctrl c > Ctrl V and Ctrl c > Shift Ctrl v).

One of the great things about Xara products is there are generally many ways to do something.