Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are all duplicate object possibilities in Xara?

Hi, I would like to know what are all the duplicate options we have in Xara 6 since I don't see any duplicate windows?

1. I can right click and drag (But not exact when I want to leave margins between several objects.)

2.Ctrl + k (makes a duplicate object over its self.)

3.Ctrl + alt + d (Makes a copy of the object in a diagonal direction.)

...what I need is something like illustrator were I can copy an obect once and the next copy object I copy using ctrl d is copied in the same direction and spacing as the previous one. (I hope I'm being clear.)
    How do I do this in Xara? I hope there is a way!
    I've been using this software since a few days ago and I already feel very comfortable using it.
    Thanks!

Default Re: What are all duplicate object possibilities in Xara?

Hi welcome

go to menu:

utilities > options

and at the bottom right of the general tab you will see the option to set the x. y offsets for duplication [ctrl+alt+d]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hey! Thanks for tyhe fast reply!

I tried it thanks! ..But is there a more user firendly solution? ...Its a bit difficult to do that everytime I want to duplicate something that need to be in a row since everytime spacings and all that are diferent. Can you think of another way?

Thanks everyone!!

if you drag an object with left-click, and right-click whilst keeping the left-click down, a copy is made automatically

so if you set up guidlines, spaced as you wanted, you can drag your object and snap copies to the guidelines
    Nothing lasts forever...

It's often possible to place things roughly - perhaps with the first and last precisely placed, then use the alignment options.

Thanks everyone.
    Thanks handrawn, nice trick, I think I'll use it very often, but there has to be a better way than using guidelines. I was hoping there was a hidden box or menu somewhere were could throw my duplicate properties.
    Could it be this is the only thing that Xara does not do easier then the rest??
    ...There has to be!

...Using the alignment tool won't work for spacing ... I don't think ...It would be too unpredictable for when you need things with just the right amount of spacing.

Brain Storming everyone!! Or feature request! ...and I'm only on the trail!!

you can also alter the nudge distance [ same options tab as duplicate distance ] to a suitable value - and nudge them incrementally - like you would in illustrator keyboard increment - using the arrow keys only

if you hold alt as well you get a smaller increment relative to zoom
    if you hold shift as well you get a larger increment

note: there is only one nudge value for both axis
    Nothing lasts forever...

oh by the way - you do know you can leave the xara options box open whilst you work?

and exactly which illustrator duplication method are you trying to imitate?
    Nothing lasts forever...

You can use snapping and the right-click trick.

Either:
    * Setup the grid to give the spacing you want, turn on grid snapping, drag the source object so that it's snapped where you want and drop a copy using right-click. Keep doing that until you have what you want.
    or:
    * Turn on magnetic object snapping, pick up the source object by the point you want to snap then drag until it's snapped to some other other point on the object and then drop a copy using right-click. Keep doing that until you have what you want.

Phil

thanks again handdrawn!
    Keeping the option menu open was very handy!! I didn't know that! that almost solves it for me.

...Whant I'm trying to do is, for example in AI if I have a box and I make a duplicate of it by pressing alt and draging to any direction, then any copy I make when I press ctrl + d is made towards that direction. with exactly the same amount of spacing, that was made when I first made the first copt by draging + pressing alt.

If I could do something like that in Xara it would be excelent!
    Thanks again!