Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WIP Truespace and Hexagon combo Scifi for Astrosynthesis v3

Ok, I'll continue to post the ongoing WIP and might even include a video or two using Hexagon and TrueSpace together to create some crazy anime-influenced spaceships.

These models are actually being created for a Space/Star mapping program called Astrosynthesis (v3). The previous versions of Astrosynthesis only used bitmap markers and actual 3D star system Orrery. Now v3 will also have 3D models of ships and asteroids to use as "markers". Testing will begin after March, so I'm cracking away on these models.

Here are 3 so far in modeling stage... (not textured or fully detailed yet).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm_ship002.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	79983

Name:	sm_ship003.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	79984

Name:	sm_ship001.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	79985

These are rendered using truespace 6.6 with the 16 IBL lighting setting.
    I'm using 6.6 (not current 7.6 as I'm just using the basic modeling tools for extruding panels, nothing major) Hexagon 2.5 is being used to create the base of the model first and will be used again after the panel extruding to work on the UV mapping.

I'll then use the new Dogwaffle with Symmetry function to create the textures.
    My Humble Studio is here: SciRPG Studio

Default Re: WIP Truespace and Hexagon combo Scifi for Astrosynthesis v3

Excellent models - it's certainly a far cry from what I can achieve with my limited experience. I wish I had the time to devote to such a pleasurable pastime, maybe when I'm retired! I look forward to seeing this project as it progresses
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: WIP Truespace and Hexagon combo Scifi for Astrosynthesis v3

Cool, thanks,
    Well we all start somewhere, I wish I had more time to devote to it, I'm usually busy with my other career which pays the bills (Tile-setting and Mosaics).

For those getting into 3D, get used to your program and how it works, throw down a cube into the scene and understand what each push and pull does. Truespace is one of those 3D modelers that reacts directly to the direction and press of your mouse buttons, so it a bit harder to learn intuitively than Hexagon/Carrara or Maya where widget/arrow handles guide you in your movements.
    In Truespace I tend to use the XYZ locking buttons a lot. I like doing panels in it because of the effective grid-locking it has.
    Hexagon has better soft selecting and smoothing and quad management, and the UV mapping and painting directly onto models beats Truespace to a pulp.

I'll video a model tonight where I start creating using Hexagon, then export/import it into Truespace to add details, then throw it back into Hexagon and start UV mapping it.
    My Humble Studio is here: SciRPG Studio