Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

Draw a rectangle (or any other object).
    It may be drawn off the page, but it will not be visible anyway.
    Right-click it and select 'Name...'
    Write: <head> in the 'Apply name' box and click 'Add' button
    Right-click object again and select 'Web properties...'
    In the 'Web properties' dialog select 'Placeholder' tab
    In the big textbox 'Replace with HTML code' write the html code that you want to add. In this case that would be that <meta> tag.
    Because the object is named <head> the code will be placed inside the <head> tag, which is where <meta> tags should go.
    Without the <head> name the html code would end up inside the <body> tag.

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

... :-)
    oh we have a saying ... in a South African language called Afrikaans, which says: "Jy's n stêr!!!"
    Translated, it means, "You're a star!!!"
    Thank you so much, I've just done what you said, will save my future designs with this rectangle in them :-). Thank you so so much :-) gleNN gleNNscheun@gmail.com

A question:
    Is there a command one can put into a website, to tell a computer, to clear the cache, with regards to all files pertaining to the website in question. I tell you why i ask this ... coz i still seem to be having the problem, that once sum1 has viewed my website, and then viewed an edited version of the website, and then, now views this new last one with the meta no cache command ... am i understanding correctly, that all this command does from now on, is it doesnt cache the files in a remote pc, however, those people who have already viewed my site, now have cache in their systems ... which for some or othe reason, still gets "accessed by their computers", when viewing my site ... STILL coming up with corruption in the viewing. The only logical explanantion i can see for this, is that existing cache still lies in their systems, so one way for me, if i knew everyone who ahs already viewed my site, would be for me to tell them to clear their cache, by deleting their existing browsing history. But not everyone wants to delete their history, they have valuable info stored in it, so now their pc's are still seeing the corrupted images ... is there a command to just simnply delete ALL existing cache pertaining to THIS website, and then the no cache command, i assume, stops cache from further going into the viewers pc? Thanks

the other thing i want to ask is: must this no cache rectangle be in all the pages of the website, or does it only need just the one in the home (index) page? Thanks

I have had the same problem - just did not know that others viewing the site had the same problem and would have to "refresh" the page as I do.

I'll be honest with you - this is totally ridicules. I have NEVER had this problem with any other web site I go to so why does Xara not do automatically what it would appear other design programs are doing?

This, other "bugs - problems" and a comment I read a while back that, "Xara does not play well with others" or something like that does not give on a warm and fuzzy feeling about actually using this program to design a web site. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    I have had the same problem - just did not know that others viewing the site had the same problem and would have to "refresh" the page as I do.

I'll be honest with you - this is totally ridicules. I have NEVER had this problem with any other web site I go to so why does Xara not do automatically what it would appear other design programs are doing?

This, other "bugs - problems" and a comment I read a while back that, "Xara does not play well with others" or something like that does not give on a warm and fuzzy feeling about actually using this program to design a web site. - jb
    Thanks for the message Jeb, did you ever get the problem sorted? www.gleNNscheun.com

No - I did not realize that others were having the same problem so made no effort to try to solve it. I don't even know where to start but since I only have this problem on my Xara site, it is obviously something other design programs have found a way to solve and do it behind the site itself. Come on, Xara - fix this problem. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    I have NEVER had this problem with any other web site I go to so why does Xara not do automatically what it would appear other design programs are doing?
    The other programs don't do any more or less than Xara. The differrence is that Xara makes it easy for you to layout your pages and takes control of all the hassle to do with graphic images. Because it takes control and may resize or process these for you, it numbers them. When you change a layout or one or more images, the numbering of the images may change. If you make wholesale changes then your website conent for image "99.png" may be changing and if the web page is in the users cache the page will look muddled.

The other web design programs make you do all the work and small changes don't result in changing the graphics names or images.

This problem was mentioned in post #2 on this thread and the OP has taken some time to catch on.

I don't know of any web design software that automatically refreshes the users cache on every visit - it's bad for performance. Most web developers don't keep altering the site many times per day.

You can blame Xara for the problem, but it has nothing to do with a bug in their software. It would probably be better if they supplied an option to always refresh the page, but it really shouldn't be used as a default behaviour.

I made the comment about Xara not playing well with others. Web developers need to realise that Xara hides a lot of complication from them. Other programs give you complete freedom and you need the skill and knowledge of the underlying technology to use them.

I'm not really aware of bugs in Xaras web generation, only misunderstanding and assumptions made by those who don't really understand the underlying technology but want to go beyond the standard facilities offered by the software.

Keep to what the software does well and you can have a warm and fuzzy feeling. Try using it like it's Dreamweaver, then expect difficullties.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    The other programs don't do any more or less than Xara. The differrence is that Xara makes it easy for you to layout your pages and takes control of all the hassle to do with graphic images. Because it takes control and may resize or process these for you, it numbers them. When you change a layout or one or more images, the numbering of the images may change. If you make wholesale changes then your website conent for image "99.png" may be changing and if the web page is in the users cache the page will look muddled.

The other web design programs make you do all the work and small changes don't result in changing the graphics names or images.

This problem was mentioned in post #2 on this thread and the OP has taken some time to catch on.

I don't know of any web design software that automatically refreshes the users cache on every visit - it's bad for performance. Most web developers don't keep altering the site many times per day.

You can blame Xara for the problem, but it has nothing to do with a bug in their software. It would probably be better if they supplied an option to always refresh the page, but it really shouldn't be used as a default behaviour.

I made the comment about Xara not playing well with others. Web developers need to realise that Xara hides a lot of complication from them. Other programs give you complete freedom and you need the skill and knowledge of the underlying technology to use them.

I'm not really aware of bugs in Xaras web generation, only misunderstanding and assumptions made by those who don't really understand the underlying technology but want to go beyond the standard facilities offered by the software.

Keep to what the software does well and you can have a warm and fuzzy feeling. Try using it like it's Dreamweaver, then expect difficullties.
    Pauland. It doesnt help. All the writings and all the explaining and all said this far:
    And now I WILL USE CAPS:
    I bought a program to design websites and put them on the internet.
    BUT IT IS ABSOLUTRELY NO GOOD IF THE SITE I SIT AND LOOK AT, LOOKS PERFECT, AND THE SITE THAT OTHERS ARE VIEWING, FOR NO MATTER WHAT REASON, page number changes, whatever one can come up with ... lack of no-cache coding ....whatever .... IT IS USELESS IF THE user can't see the site properly.
    I'm upset now yes because its just talk talk talk ... but the facts are, that I can't get a website to display properly on sumone elses computer. And i am not the only one. I have always sung XARA's praises, that is why i bought Xara, and only Xara, but in this case the facts speak for themselves, There IS a PROBLEM, if not to call it a bug, then call it whatever one wants, but we/us, who are experiencing this, are disappointed, I DON'T KNOW OF ANY WEBSITE ANYWHERE IN THIS UNIVERSE OR BEYOND, where one has to "refresh" before one can look at page. It IS ridiculous, as the previous poster has said. AND YOU KNOW WHAT PAULAND, YOU SAY i mustnt use CAPS, becasue you CAN understand, but my CAPS are there becasue i am frustrated BECAUSE people don't listen. It's great to come up with reasoning, all i bl**dy ask for, is for an ANSWER to this, THERE IS A PROBLEM .... YES, ramblings by me, of literally pages and pages, but STILL NO ANSWER. If i had gotten an answer after the first writing i wrote, it wouldnt be necessary to write after that, would it? No. The closest i have to an answer to this corrupt viewing, was by byorn, and i have followed his instructions. But no matter how user friendly Xara is, if it doesnt sort this out, then it is useless .... I'd like to have a chat with their developers. And you know what, i think I will. I paid good money for this program, and i expect it to work. No offence Pauland. Take care.
    Last edited by Glennn; 14 February 2011 at 05:56 PM.