Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

While reading "Maya 4 Fundamentals", I happened across an interesting point: The Z-axis in modeling programs is not always depth, because some modeling programs grew out of CAD, and a lot of times, the view of a project was from above...IOW, our sense of depth, and this was marked the Y axis. Therefore, the Z axis became height. BTW, Maya can adjust the axes so that Z is anythin g you want. The attched image was done in PIXAR Showplace, actually, and was marked up in XARA, and was used in a book on coordinate systems. Using the right-hand coordinate system, positive rotqation occurs in the direction in which the digits curl.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROTATE.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	14345  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

While reading "Maya 4 Fundamentals", I happened across an interesting point: The Z-axis in modeling programs is not always depth, because some modeling programs grew out of CAD, and a lot of times, the view of a project was from above...IOW, our sense of depth, and this was marked the Y axis. Therefore, the Z axis became height. BTW, Maya can adjust the axes so that Z is anythin g you want. The attched image was done in PIXAR Showplace, actually, and was marked up in XARA, and was used in a book on coordinate systems. Using the right-hand coordinate system, positive rotqation occurs in the direction in which the digits curl.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com