Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Alpha Channel Tutorial PSP 11

Hi,

I'm looking for a precise and easy to understand tutorial on how to edit and then save an Alpha Channel to an image.

While I am somewhat experienced with PSP (although limited), I'm looking for a tutorial that would cater to someone who is using this program for the first time. I've been working on this for 3 days now and I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Alpha Channel Tutorial PSP 11

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Unfortunately that is not what I'm looking for, that shows how to make a single solid one color selection to an Alpha Channel. This I already know how to do.

Maybe I should explain what I'm doing first. I'm painting skins for a racing game.

Things like windows and headlights need to be almost completely transparent but yet opaque enough to show reflections, while a decal on a window needs to be completely opaque. The game utilizes Alpha Channels to determine the amount of transparency of an object. The problem created here is a need to edit and save the Alpha Channel, which is the part I can't figure out.

This is the image I'm working with.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...hic/Window.jpg

This is the Greyscale Image I want to use to make the Alpha Channel, note there is an area for a decal on the one window that needs to be filled in. In total, I need 4 levels of transparency to make this work.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...phic/Alpha.jpg

There will be times I might need to fade a transparency also. So I need to learn how to edit the Alpha Channel and save it.

Sorry about the links instead of posting the pictures, they won't work for some reason.
    IP

sorry, I don't know PSP well enough to help there - hopefully someone will ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Hi there,

You don't mention what format you're saving the images in or what the game is. When designing skins for games I've generally used targa (*.tga) and my transparency maps have always worked.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

I figured it out finally.

Thanks
    IP