Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Kerning Whole Words at a Time?

Hi, All,

I don't seem to be able to open space between letters in text more than two letters at a time. I can't believe it's supposed to work like this, but selecting all characters in a string of text greys out the kerning option completely.

It only allows me to kern between two letters at a time. Click, kern, click, kern. Inconvenience like this is not often encountered in Xara!

dp

Default Re: Kerning Whole Words at a Time?

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Kerning is something that is only done between two characters and it is working exactly as it is supposed to.

Tracking (the adjustment next to the kerning option) is used for opening or closing the spacing between more than two characters. This is often used to tighten letter spacing just enough as to move an orphan (a single word on a new line) up.

Most fonts today contain what is called hinting, which adds an appropriate amount of space between two characters. Some characters will need more space and others less. And so kerning is not all that necessary.

Tracking! Good grief, that was embarrassingly easy!

I most often need that feature when dealing with the spacing in big titles with fancy fonts.

Thanks, Gary.

dp

My pleasure.