Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: basic question

Default basic question

i have no background in web design and i'm doing this on the fly.

when i preview my page, the page has an outline (the middle part where all the stuff is). how do i get rid of that.

also, what if i don't want a middle part where all the stuff is? i just want the web page content to encompass the entirety of the screen without any borders defining the background and the page content.

i want to edit the whole screen, no background borders.

thanks!

Default Re: basic question

Web designs are generally of a fixed width, so there are normally margins either side if the browser window is wider. This is normal practice to ensure that the page is seen as designed and doesn't change according to the browser window size. Xara software produces these fixed width designs.

Using other software it is possible to have designs that occupy all the available area. They are much harder to produce and generally avoided by experienced designers and often requested by Newbies.

As a newbie, go for fixed width designs, centered in the browser. As an experienced developer, you'll probably make the same choice.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

If you hold down the Ctrl key and drag and drop a color onto the page, this will be the background for the entire window. The shadow will not appear when you preview or publish the page.

If you find the color palette a bit limited, select a rectangle and edit the color in the Color Editor to the desired shade, hue, etc.

Hold down the Ctrl key and drag the small preview square in the Color Editor onto the page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drag-n-drop.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	79735  

I hope this is the place to put my mind at ease. My fun meter has pegged and am almost ready to quit trying. My hosting service is useless. I watched the beautifully prepared video and fell in love with Web Designer played around with it and then upgraded later to Version 6. I can't get off the ground. I selected the theme Monotone. It seemed really nice to paste in my pictures and create a website to exhibit and possibly sell my paintings and drawings. My concern is publishing the site. I made a few changes and exported as requested then selected publish. Activity appears in flashing scroll bars to the bottom left of the screen. It appears to be sending the site to the host. However, a Xara error window appears with = index_htm_files:Access is denied. This is my last chance to stay with Xara. I can't take this anylonger. Does anyone know if I did something wrong, is it my hosting service, please HELP!

If you have problems using xara to upload try uploading with filezilla- search and download it for free. all you do after you have exported your files in xara is go to the folder or location on you computer (within the within filezilla programme0 drag and drop pages to the root directory of your server but Of course xara may not find your host if the usename you are using in the publish tab of xara is not right nor subfile directory given to you by your host ask them for it or look under your ftp account for details. You will also need to put those details in filezila too. This could well be where the problem is

if not come back im sure the members will help you find a solution!

scruffy