Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fencepost:
    Not the image, per se, but the actual X3D file itself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha, thanks for the clarification. With that change it becomes a 'feature' of the app. Better and better but I'm still going to work on a copy of the file. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Since I don't work with Macs, I assume it's a very similar process. I just right-click the X3D file (Macs don't have a right-click do they? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haw! Well, mine do as I use Intellimouse Opticals with every button configured for each really specialized application. Regular Macs have a Control + Click for contextual menus. I can't stand a one button mouse!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...and select "Open With" and point to WordPad, which is a very low end text editor. I do the changes, save the document, and re-open the X3D file normally. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! WordPad it is. Thanks again for the info.

Cheers!

Oooooo... The tips just keep on coming. You guys are really tempting me to push a x3d file to the limits just to see where the fringes of the envelope lie.... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Hey Welles,

Wordpad and notepad (retarded little brother) both come with windows. They are just simple text editors. You can find them in under the start menu at Start=>Programs=>accessories.

Notepad has a file size limitation whereas wordpad can open much larger files.

You do not need a whamming jammin machine to run xara and X3D5. So if you can pick one up cheap, then grab it. I first ran xara on a 75Mhz pentium. If you are going to buy new, grab an AMD athlon, twice to power for &frac12 the cost. Do not waste money on a celeron, (repackaged 8080). http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

John,

I went for cheap and found a factory refurbished eMachine, AMD Athlon XP 2600+ / 512MB DDR / 120GB HDD / CD-RW / DVD-ROM / Windows XP Home for $319 after a $100 rebate. I figure to add at least another 512mb RAM and if the nVIDIA GeForce 4 MX turns out to be lame, there is a 8X AGP slot for an upgrade. I didn't see how I could go wrong.

Hi Welles,

That is a very good deal. More power and speed than I have for either of my Windows PCs. There is one point about eMachines that I've noticed, having supported them for the company I work for. The power supplies have a bad habit of going out. Of the 150 we bought new, all had to have the power supplies replaced at least once during the two year warranty. After the warranty ran out, we replaced all eMachines.

BTW, I searched for the patch to enable .xar and .web import on both the X3D4 and X3D5 CDs when I first got them. Had to download the patch each time to be able to import those file types.

WordPad and Notepad are good text editors, I use Notepad almost exclusively. I have recently downloaded and tried two freeware text editors that have syntax highlighting. I write a lot of administrative scripts for the other LAN support facilities for the company I work for. Notepad2 and Notepad++ support syntax highlighting for many script languages, asp, html, xml, sql, C/C++, C#, Java, etc. Notepad++ has the ability to add additional language support directly within the interface. Notepad2 requires editing the source code to add additional languages. Both have the source code available for download under the GNU license. Notepad++ supports multiple files to be open, each selectable by tabs at the top of the interface.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill,

Hmmmm...It sounds that an extended warranty is a necessity with the eMachine. It was offered but I didn't go for it at the time. I better look into that. Sounds as though refurbished means a replaced power supply. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the note on the import patch. I've installed it already and things are working as expected.

Cheers!

If anyone is interested, here's a portion of a screen capture of Notepad++ after I defined a Xara3D5 language definition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notepad-pp.gif 
Views:	233 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	2031  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill & Welles,

I own a 2200+ E-machine. I have had it for about 2 years, and never had a problem. Power supplies are relatively cheap, $50-$100. So what if the power supply is the weakest link. It is about the cheapest link you can get. It has been running almost constantly for that 2 years also. Found that when you turn a computer off every night the power supply tends to go out alot faster.

I think emachines are well worth the money. Are they worth $5,000... no, but I am not paying that much either.

Hey Bill,
    Thanks for the tip on Notepad2. This is just what I have been looking for.

Mike

You also might consider Editpad Lite. I've been using the "Pro" version for years and find it indespensible for coding and other related text projects.

See here:Editpad Lite

Jeff

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I downloaded the lite version and will take a look at it tomorrow. It may languish on the back burner, though, as I just installed MS Office 2003 Pro and Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred to handle most of my text chores. I've wanted to use Naturally Speaking for some years but it is PC only and, until the last couple of months, I've been Mac only.