Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: memory and picture issues XWD6

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    your teachers comment might be fair enough in the context of what people were doing with computers at the time. He may not have meant forever. ]
    They both emphatically said 'Never'. One MB was more than enough. Their view was essentially an anti-corporation rant. They believed that all the bluster about computers was just advertising, designed to make people spend money. Bill Gates was an ebil capitalist, etc.

Anyhoo, regarding website size, apparently the average size of UK websites was 25 MB back in 2008 for the ‘domain harvesting model’, and 180 MB for the permission-based harvesting’ model, and that doesn’t include the non - .UK domain names.

- From Archiving the UK Web (British Library)

Over the last few years the average webpage file size has been growing quickly, and with technology constantly being improved, I think very large websites will be common soon enough.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Quality is always better than quantity and rarely do both go together.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Quality is always better than quantity
    Agreed, but you don’t have to have only one or the other. I think quantity and quality will both continue rising exponentially.

and rarely do both go together.
    As with Television before it, I think the goal is to continually improve. Some garbage will go along with it, but that usually accompanies anything good.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Hi Gary,

I know this probably is not the place to discuss functionalities of other software, but I was hoping I might ask something about Encrypt Web pro. I'm not sure how to combine this with XWD 6. I tried to encrypt the webpages. I checked after uploading and the results were webpages with red crosses everywhere where a picture should have been. After that I tried to encrypt the images in the index_htm_files but with the same result. May I ask for help in this matter as well?

Beste regards,

Sandra

I have been having similar problems with RAM being gobbled up when I convert to htm. My site is currently at 86MB and growing. If I had known that Xara couldn't handle large files I would not have purchased it for my sales website which, by the very nature of it, contains many graphics. I was particularly impressed with your comments on making the site from several Xara files rather than one single one. What I can't get my understanding round is how the various files would be composed, and linked to when uploaded as I assume that each would require its own htm_files folder. You obviously can only have one 'index' file so how would you navigate to the other files which, I assume would be independant from each other in construction. Thanx in advance.

This may help: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...splitting+site

All software has boundaries/limitations. Xara makes it easy for people with little knowledge to build websites. Usually the websites are small to medium sized. Larger websites do tend to slow the program down and aren't the core market for the program. Often people don't help themselves by optimising the graphic content presented to Xara beforehand, so that Xara isn't handling print-resolution images for a web project.

Xara is about building websites, which it can do very well. Large files slow down the software, but there are ways around this that require a little more effort and knowledge of the user. This is why the forum is here.