Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default iFrame for multiple pages

Hi All,
    I have created a webpage in Xara Webdesign with an embedded iFrame connected to an associated page with the text content for that iFrame.
    But what I realy want is a page with an embedded iFrame connected to several pages depending on a link a the original page.
    For example:
    Page 1 is the basic page that contains the iFrame, and several links (ex: Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
    Page 2 contains the textinfo for Word
    Page 3 contains the textinfo for Excel
    Page 4 contains the textinfo for Powerpoint
    When the user clicks the Word-link I want page 2 appearing in the iFrame.
    When the user clicks the Excel-link I want page 3 appearing in the iFrame
    etc....

Is this possible in XWD and if yes how?

Best Regards

Default Re: iFrame for multiple pages

Hmm? I wonder if this could be done with pop up layers instead. You could put your different content on different layers and then link your buttons to these layers.

iframes are good for showing an external website on your web page.

Look up AJAX/Javascript/XMLHttpRequest which I believe is what you'd use to reload parts of your page/iFrames.

But most likely you should be able to solve it by using popup layers like Gary suggested, as it's just a few pages?
    Unless you want the actual Excel/Word/ppt files to appear in the iFrame ?

Quote Originally Posted by GK5 View Post
    Is this possible in XWD and if yes how?
    Yes. Try this: Create a new website with 5 pages. Next to "Index" for page 1, name them "Welcome", "Word", "Excel" and "Powerpoint". On the index page draw a rectangle (the iframe) that is sized such that it can accommodate the 'guest' pages. Open Utilities/Web Properties/Placeholder and place the following code in "Replace with HTML code" box:

Code:
    <iframe name=iframename src=welcome.htm height=100% width=100% scrolling=no frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0></iframe>
    (Here the name given to your iframe is "iframename" and "welcome.htm" is the name of the page that will be autoloaded)

Place four links/buttons (just text will do as well) anywhere you like next to the rectangle/iframe. For this example I call them: "Welcome", "Word", "Excel" and "Powerpoint". Set for each of them the "Link to Page" property (Utilities/Web Properties/Link) to the respective page by using the drop-down menu AND -- in the same window -- type "iframename" in the "Open link in" box. Don't forget to click "Apply" for each of the four links.

Next, reduce the size of the 'guest pages' ("Welcome", "Word", "Excel" and "Powerpoint") to the size of the rectangle/iframe on the index page so that they will appear as you design them.

Finally, design your 'guest pages' and fill them with the relevant information, and finish the design of your index page.

Hope this is clear enough.

Wow! Is it that easy?
    And it actually works too
    It'll come in very handy. Never tried to write a name directly into that "ShowIn" dropdown..

Boy becomes a Man.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Boy becomes a Man.
    ... but won't forget the boy!

Thank you very much Boy. It's working wonderfully.

Great! Show us the result when you're done with the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Yes. Try this: Create a new website with 5 pages. Next to "Index" for page 1, name them "Welcome", "Word", "Excel" and "Powerpoint". On the index page draw a rectangle (the iframe) that is sized such that it can accommodate the 'guest' pages. Open Utilities/Web Properties/Placeholder and place the following code in "Replace with HTML code" box:

Code:
    <iframe name=iframename src=welcome.htm height=100% width=100% scrolling=no frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0></iframe>
    (Here the name given to your iframe is "iframename" and "welcome.htm" is the name of the page that will be autoloaded)

Place four links/buttons (just text will do as well) anywhere you like next to the rectangle/iframe. For this example I call them: "Welcome", "Word", "Excel" and "Powerpoint". Set for each of them the "Link to Page" property (Utilities/Web Properties/Link) to the respective page by using the drop-down menu AND -- in the same window -- type "iframename" in the "Open link in" box. Don't forget to click "Apply" for each of the four links.

Next, reduce the size of the 'guest pages' ("Welcome", "Word", "Excel" and "Powerpoint") to the size of the rectangle/iframe on the index page so that they will appear as you design them.

Finally, design your 'guest pages' and fill them with the relevant information, and finish the design of your index page.

Hope this is clear enough.
    Oh Boy! You have solved my problem. I've been searching the forum for a couple of hours - and it just paid off.

This is a perfect way to solve a problem of how to convert my 500 page web site to Xara.

Long text pages in the iFrame - they can scroll and read.

Audio and video files that are spread out over several pages - just 1 page with the appropriate links, and all of the content can go into the iFrame.

This is fabulous. Thanks!

Ed