Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default out of memory when exporting a large jpg

I love designing vehicle wraps in XD Pro6 but what can I do to export a large image. If I design at half scale then try to export at 200 dpi it crashes and says out of memory.

Have a quad core with 8gb ram Win7 64 bit. Any help would be appriciated!

Default Re: out of memory when exporting a large jpg

if your design is vector you might be better exporting it as vector and letting the printer do the rescaling - best xdp6 export format for this would probably be PDF but you would need to check with your printer to see if they can accept this

this may not work if you have bitmap [raster] in your design
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have a lot of raster effects in the design. My work around is to design at 10th scale and export at 720 dpi. That still gives me 72dpi at full scale. If someone has a better idea, I'm all ears. Thanks

I don't know enough about wraps to say whether that is resolution enough or no - but I know they do not necessarily need to be as high as for print [though there is disagreement on this, so again, your printer is the place to ask]

make sure you purge all unused raster from the bitmap gallery - this will only be taking up memory unnecessarily
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am the printer. Our industry seems to think 72 dpi at full scale is acceptable. I make it a little higher if I can. Thanks for the tip on the bitmap gallery.

ah then I accept it unreservedly

xara is not at its best with large res bitmap tasks
    Nothing lasts forever...

I wish it was. Cause I love the program. I guess I'm just going to have to break down and learn some basics in PS. I'm just a old Corel Draw guy.

swings and roundabouts

everything in the bitmap gallery is loaded into memory uncompressed - this makes some operations very fast, but it also means that you can only 'push' it so far in terms of what you can have loaded up ...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Sharx. Xara should be able to handle most common bitmap tasks. It is a 32-bit app, and until it becomes 64-bit, the amount of memory it can use is limited. Until then, I came across a nice utility which allows Xara to address more memory and alleviate any out of memory errors. I discuss it here. Hope it helps.