Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default When arrow keys do not nudge imported Image

I am only lightly aquainted with Xara although I've owned the app for a good while.

Using it today, I find when I drag an Image into a composition, I can more it around with arrow keys, but later on after doing severl other things I no longer can move it around with arrow keys.

Or at least I'm pretty sure I was initially able to move objects around with arrow keys, but not now

Also, I notice I can not delete an Image with keyboard delete key but have to right click and find the delete item on context menu... Is that normal... If so, its one of the very few apps where I've found the delete key not to be honored inside an app.

Can anyone tell me if I was just daydreaming about nudging Images with arrow keys or is there some way to restore the ability to move things with the arrow keys?

Default Re: When arrow keys do not nudge imported Image

Hi Harry,

The delete key should work. That includes the delete key next to 'End' and the 'del' key in the number pad.

The problem you describe reminds me of what happens sometimes when I zoom in on an object or photo, to the point where I can’t see the selection handles (the little black boxes that appear around the object you select) any more.

I might click on another object, and then on the big one again, and nudge or try to delete it, only to find it is not selected. Perhaps it has something to do with not being able to see the selection handles – I’m not sure. For me the solution is to zoom out and select or delete.

You can also check your nudge configuration by going to Options (shift/ctrl O) and General, and ‘Nudge size’. While in options check out your zoom options with the mouse, under ‘Mouse’.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Quote Originally Posted by James Allen View Post
    Hi Harry,

The delete key should work. That includes the delete key next to 'End' and the 'del' key in the number pad.

The problem you describe reminds me of what happens sometimes when I zoom in on an object or photo, to the point where I can’t see the selection handles (the little black boxes that appear around the object you select) any more.

I might click on another object, and then on the big one again, and nudge or try to delete it, only to find it is not selected. Perhaps it has something to do with not being able to see the selection handles – I’m not sure. For me the solution is to zoom out and select or delete.

You can also check your nudge configuration by going to Options (shift/ctrl O) and General, and ‘Nudge size’. While in options check out your zoom options with the mouse, under ‘Mouse’.
    Thanks for the input, Before I got your suggestions I did enough clicking and clacking flayling around and generally acting a fool, that somehow it all started working once more...

Next time I'll pay attention to zoom, but in the case I mentioned, the only zoom involved was to zoom the page to 200 and on my monitor I can see the whole of it when it is set to 820 x 586...

Anyway, at this point there is no way to back track and see what I did to cause myself the grief.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryPutnam View Post
    Thanks for the input, Before I got your suggestions I did enough clicking and clacking flayling around and generally acting a fool, that somehow it all started working once more...
    You just described me in Xara.

I find if you kick, shake and thump it a few times it starts working again.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).