Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CMYK / RGB query

I have designed logos for a client for the websites, newsletters and email stationery, which of course is in RBG. Now I need to have business cards,letterheads and pamphlets produced, which require the logos to be in CMYK.

I have set up Minimiro's CMYK template from the Workbook 49, (a brilliant resource BTW). Now, I need to match the colour of the RGB images. Is this just a case of using an eyedropper to match the colour?. Can I have one window with screen colours, and another with Simulated print colours?.

I have searched the Forums for an answer, but to no avail.

Hope someone can help me here, my first time dealing with print media.

Jim
    Last edited by JimToal; 21 January 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: CMYK / RGB query

Jim

RGB and CMYK are two very different color spaces. And the range of colors that can be displayed in RGB vs. the range of colors that can be printed in CMYK are very different. Basically the CMYK color gamut is much smaller.

Colors you see on the screen and the web will generally print very differently. If you use the Window > Show Printer Colors > Simulate Print Colors you will get an idea of what I am talking about.

The best advice is to get a Pantone CMYK swatch book, (they are not cheap) and do your best to match your colors by comparing the printed colors in the swatch book to what you see on the screen.

Another way to go is to use Pantone Spot Colors but these are meant to be printed as solid colors and not to be matched or printed in CMYK, although about 1/2 of the Pantone Spot Colors can be matched almost exactly. But of the other half, 25% will come close and the other 25% will not even be in the ball park.

Hi Jim,

Use Minimiros palette to assign colors using CMYK palette.

Find out from the print service what color management (.icm or .icc) profile they use for their printers. Xara Xtreme and Designer do not use profiles, but you can export your file to a format compatible with Photoshop, Illustrator, or Corel Draw. Open the exported file in the other application and load the color profile, this will give you a fairly accurate representation of what to expect. Request a wet print from the print service to see how accurate the colors will be.

EDIT: I see Gary has answered while I was composing my answer.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Gary and Bill.

I'll look for the palette.

Cheers

Jim

Jim your best bet is to use a limited colour palette for any jobs that you do for stationary, I use around the 200. As Bill states get a wet copy of your palette and then you will know what you will get and really stick with that, you can use tints of those colour and with a bit of experience you can guess what the resultant colour will be! It's all down to experience.
    Design is thinking made visual.