Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how do you make a perspective grid in xara?

i realize that what i need is to build or a use template of a perspective grid. i just cant draw and do perspective at the same time. anybody have any grids to share? i think its a 'hands on' or eyes on thing. i need to have a grid already built in oder to draw on it. would much appreciate some help on how to make 123pt perspective grids in xara.

Default Re: how do you make a perspective grid in xara?

You could draw regular grid of lines or rectangles, group them, select the group, use the mould tool and apply a perspective mould, and cut and paste the group into the Guides Layer, then lock the Guides Layer. Enable turn on snap to object and grid. Now draw on top of the grid.

here's an illustrator tutorial for 3 point perspective, you can hopefully adapt it for xara:

http://www.khulsey.com/3_point_perspective.html

you may well need to start with the 2 point tutorial which is linked in the 3 point

and another perhaps simpler 3 point:

http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/draw...rspective.html

google should throw up a few more...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Stealth,

For this kind of thing I usually just use lines in Xara, with the magnetic snap to objects. For more complex jobs I sometimes use Corel’s perspective and extrude tools.

Here is a VIDEO to show you how the attached Xara file can be used in Xara.

It's a simple approach, but can be used as a guide. You can make into a template called ‘perspective’ (File/Save Template...). To open it you would go to File/New and select ‘perspective’.

Make sure ‘snap to objects’ is on. Move the horizon line up or down, snap lines to intersections, slide vanishing points (arrows grouped with vertical lines) left or right (ctrl/left mouse button, slide). Click line and use shape editor tool (F4) to select node to lines’ angles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three-point-perspective.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	79483  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Hello jclements

Re: "Enable turn on snap to object and grid. Now draw on top of the grid."

Please tell me how it is possible to draw on TOP of the grid. I can't get any layer to be above the Guides layer...in other words, I can only draw UNDER the grid.

What's the secret?

Thanks

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 22 January 2011 at 02:46 PM.

I tried to show the process using JING. I did not take care in being precise, particularly with the ellipse; the idea there is to make sure that each of the 4 nodes of an ellipse are positioned on a guide intersection after skewing and rotating, then ellipse will be in true perspective ... a bit tedious I admit.

Hope the below link works:

http://screencast.com/t/bYD4Mrt52
    Last edited by jclements; 22 January 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Wherever possible I draw my objects flat, place them in a box and use the mould tool to put them in perspective
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by James Allen View Post
    Hi Stealth,

For this kind of thing I usually just use lines in Xara, with the magnetic snap to objects. For more complex jobs I sometimes use Corel’s perspective and extrude tools.

Here is a VIDEO to show you how the attached Xara file can be used in Xara.

It's a simple approach, but can be used as a guide. You can make into a template called ‘perspective’ (File/Save Template...). To open it you would go to File/New and select ‘perspective’.

Make sure ‘snap to objects’ is on. Move the horizon line up or down, snap lines to intersections, slide vanishing points (arrows grouped with vertical lines) left or right (ctrl/left mouse button, slide). Click line and use shape editor tool (F4) to select node to lines’ angles.
    thanx for that

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    I tried to show the process using JING. I did not take care in being precise, particularly with the ellipse; the idea there is to make sure that each of the 4 nodes of an ellipse are positioned on a guide intersection after skewing and rotating, then ellipse will be in true perspective ... a bit tedious I admit.

Hope the below link works:

http://screencast.com/t/bYD4Mrt52
    this is good.

Thanks for that James Allen.
    I thought I knew a lot about perspective(byl hand). but I know little about doing it on the computer.
    That is an excellent tip and video. Part of me wonders if it would be easier to do that with Google Sketchup and saved in a form Xara can use although that would not be a vector. I'll have to check that out.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.